Rich with the 91 LTC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rich with the 91 LTC

I have always loved Fords, particularly the LTD and then Panther body platform. After searching these forums and keeping my car running, I am now planning on doing an overhaul.

Currently the engine and transmission are stock. It is the 4.6 with the AOD. I have "upgraded" the rear with Moog springs, and Gabriel Load Carrier Springs, and put KYB Gas a Just on the front. Brakes are shitty AutoZone. New standard auto plug wires, and the sp447 spark plugs.

I want to completely rebuild the front end, and I do not know if I like the Moog springs in the back.... I have read that Moog springs may be lackluster compared to bushings, and ball joints. Brakes will be upgraded, J-Mod, sway bar upgrade, and maybe just preventative measures like water pump. My intent is to get this vehicle safe, and as bulletproof as possible. I do enjoy working on the side of the road, so I guess that is all part of the adventure.

My intention is to Tow a camper with a max weight of 3400 pounds. My thoughts are that with gutting a 21 ft trailer, and adding heavy duty suspension and brake parts, this should tow relatively well. She has done 5 1200-mile road trips, with "75 thousand miles".

Welcome and keep us abreast with your progress!
    What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
    What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Comment

Pictures will be coming with better weather! Thank you! Oh I was an idiot and put j-mod I think that is for the aode transmission.

Comment

Yeah... a shift kit (TransGo is good for AOD as well as a few others) is fine for AODs.

Since you have a bastard block 4.6 (small block ford bell housing pattern like the 302/351) you can do a small block ford swap if you wanted to down the road.

As for a tow rig... your plans should do fine. I would advise using trailer brakes if equipped even though you can safely stop without them on the stock brakes pulling a trailer around that weight, but you have to plan ahead a little more than what most traffic allows any more.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

[QUOTE=sly;n1386098]Yeah... a shift kit (TransGo is good for AOD as well as a few others) is fine for AODs.
          ]

Honestly, I hope the shift kit gets me a year or two babying this transmission before a t5 swap, and that would allow me to save and maybe pair the manual with a 351.

I definitely want to have trailer brakes, and I do not plan on going through cities during rush hour. I did Kansas City once at 5 pm, with an overloaded uhaul and the ltc on the back, and man I bet they had to replace tires and brakes after I dropped it off.....

Comment

Since the vehicle is on ramps, I got some pictures. I still haven't found the installation pictures I had. Moog springs, Gabriel Load Leveler Shocks, from rock auto. Can I fit the larger sway bar?
            Click image for larger version

Name:	20230219_092658.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	1.05 MB
ID:	1386229
            Attached Files

Comment

She looks alright from 30ft, when the weather is not so cold, I want to cut, buff throw another coat of oil or two, and then keep it polished, so that I can just easily cClick image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20230219_154543864~2.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	3.79 MB
ID:	1386234 Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20230219_154554786.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	3.75 MB
ID:	1386232 Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20230219_154610375.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	4.72 MB
ID:	1386233​over rock chips. I was deciding on if I would clear coat it.

Comment

I like it all blacked out.
                ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                  I like it all blacked out.
                  Thank you! If I could do one thing differently. I would have just removed the bottom panels and filled those holes with bondo....

I do not have a welder, nor the experience, the rear driver's quarter was smashed completely in, and the door, by a friend of mine, and yeah i couldn't do insurance because of his state. I fixed it with bondo, and a prayer. She has lasted well for 3,000 highway miles!

Comment

Gotta do what you gotta do. I will say though a welder is something any car guy should have. It just opens up so much opportunity and creativity.

Yeah the front end just looks so clean all blacked out. Reminded me of some of the special Lincoln Mark VIIs all blacked out.

Is this a signature series car?
                    ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

I have everything but the welder. I am hoping to get one, and learn sooner than later. This is an executive model. I am hoping to get most of the orange peel out my the start of summer. First time ever trying to paint a car. It was a hell of a learning experience.

Comment

Originally posted by MyTowLinc View Post
                        This is an executive model. I am hoping to get most of the orange peel out my the start of summer. First time ever trying to paint a car. It was a hell of a learning experience.
                        Everything is a learning experience. And experience is the only way you will get better with anything. Looking good.

I was asking if a sig series because I was curious if you had the cool flip out cupholder/storage center armrests. Consensus says they came in the sig series only and I have not seen an interior pic of the car.

~David~

Comment

Well I learned something new. I do have the signature series. I have been working on those. They are not in the interior. here I will add a pic.

Comment

Waiting for some switches
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	20230219_123247.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	2.14 MB
ID:	1386255

Comment

Everything use to be red. I am figuring out the interior. But I think I have something in mind.

Comment

Working...
                              X