Greetings from Oregon!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Greetings from Oregon!

Just found this forum via wikipedia and thought I'd say hello. I am a relatively new owner of a '78 Lincoln Continental, which I inherited from my grandfather. I finally got it running again, and it's so much fun to drive I want to sit in it all day

78,000 original miles, original paint job (apparently that color was only available in '78), original vinyl top, Cartier clock, green Naugahyde seats (I think) in perfect condition, and a 460 engine.

The projects I hope I can get advice on (in other posts, not this one) are repairing some of the plastic 'chrome' on the inside that is peeling off, advice on fixing some chips in the paint (I already located a source for the original color), and figuring out how to get a modern stereo in the thing without cutting into the dash.

Anyway, I'm pretty much useless when it comes to working on cars, so I hope the community doesn't mind too much when I ask patently dumb questions. Cheers, and have a great weekend!

Yay another Oregonian! Man that Lincoln is clean

Welcome to GMN!
    Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
    Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

nice townie!
      welcome to gmn!

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
      2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
      1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
      1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
      2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
      1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Thanks! Not to get too back-story-ish, but I have a bit of history with this car:
        • My grandfather bought it the year I was born
        • It was the first car I went to Disneyland in
        • It was the 'limo' for me and my wifes wedding
        • It came with the house I now live in

It has been in a garage for the past six or so years and has a few issues, and I just want to take as good care of it as my grandad did. They aren't worth much in money, but this one is worth a lifetime is wonderful memories.

Anyway, any shops you recommend in Oregon? I'm in Coburg, just out of Eugene, so it is quite central to most shops. I just got the master cylinder, brake pads, calipers, muffler, and battery done by Midas, since it was having trouble starting and, well, stopping. I was kinda surprised since I called a couple of local shops and they were either hesitant to even look at it, or didn't seem to want to work on it after they had looked at it.

It was odd, like "Don't you want my money??" sorta situation. I've been to four shops in ten days, and only one (Midas) got the issue right it seems. I'd like to get one more opinion though, since I have a natural distrust for most chain businesses.

All in all, after the service it runs great. I actually sold my '04 Infiniti recently since I just couldn't justify 3 cars for 2 people, 1 of which (me) that works from home. However, since this is a 31 year old car I just want to be proactive and make sure it stays reliable.

Comment

Two more pics

Comment

Welcome!

That is a very nice car you have there.
            Former panther owner
            1981 CV 351 4bbl
            1991 CV 302 EFI

Comment

Pretty car. And tell me about it. I had body shops not even look at the car once they heard the year. I dont get it either...what the hell are you running a business for if you reject customers?

Anyways
              ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
              My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
              My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
              But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
              my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Man, that Conti does look clean! Gotta love old grandpa owned cars.

to GMN!

Comment

I love the green! to GMN!
                  1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
                  Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

That car looks great! Looks like it's still new! Ohhh and Welcome to the site. LOL

Comment

SWEEEEEEEEEET Ride!!!!!!!

Welcome.

As far as your radio upgrade try http://www.secretaudio.com/.
                      Nothing makes me smile more than a cougar in my Panther

Kristal - 2005 Grand Marquis GS

Killin' zombies and grillin' veggie burgers, it's kinda my thing you know? - Bozowolf

Comment

Welcome!! It's great to have another barge owner on the site
                        '79 Continental Town Car
                        '90 Crown Victoria LTD
                        '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

I am really taking a liking towards those pointy climate control knobs.
                          ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                          My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                          My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                          But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                          my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Another WEST COASTER!! Welcome! nice car mang
                            sigpic
                            67 Ltd tudor
                            67 Ltd 4door
                            85 Ltd 4door

Comment

greetings! that is a very straight car, neat color too.
                              1996 Mercury Grand Marquis - duals, PI cams, PI intake, J-Mod, MZT, BOC tune, 3.55s, 18in wheels
                              1965 Ford Falcon Ranchero - 5.0 HO T5 Fun Cruiser
                              http://www.supermotors.net/users/tmm313

Comment

Working...
                              X