Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

new fella

hello to everyone,

few days ago i just purchased a '99 grand marquis. i dont know to much about the specifics, and i was wondering if anyone could help me out.

what i do know.
    LS tag in the back
    looks to be dummy duels, or factory. no idea to be honest. looks similiar to an x-pipe
    16 x 7 wire spoke rims
    digital gauges and all power options.
    no factory tint/ not at all whatsoever
    ac/air is controlled by a little digital box, similar to radio. adjustable by the degrees.

the difficult thing is that i only looked over the car for about an hour just seeing what i could find out. after that i decided to buy it, and will be picking it up later this week. the lady whom im buying it from knows absolutely nothing about the trim level, or even what it house for an engine. she just drove the car given to her by her husband.

so basically i was just asking if anyone could tell me what add-ons/package i have on my car and the exhaust pipe size. i plan on having a new muffler and chrome turn downs welded on. also what is the difference between the different trim levels and so on. I dont know much about these cars other than their superior comfort level and their smooth roomy ride.

I do understand that Im asking alot from some generous folks out there, but any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
    99' Grand Marquis

Welcome to GMN!

Duals on these cars are usually the real deal. (duals are a factory option)
    I think the stock pipe size is 2".
    You engine is the 4.6L Ford modular V8 (2-valve per cylinder version)
    Being a 99' it's a non-PI engine (PI= Performance Enhanced).
    Former panther owner
    1981 CV 351 4bbl
    1991 CV 302 EFI

Comment

2 biggest problems I've heard about with the 4.6 engine are:

-Plastic/composite intake manifold is prone to cracking. The PI manifold is supposed to be a direct replacement that solved this problem.....and gives you more power too.

-Timing chain tensioners wearing out. (makes a sewing machine like sound)

That's about all I know....I'm sure there will be other's chiming in that know a lot more than I do.
      Former panther owner
      1981 CV 351 4bbl
      1991 CV 302 EFI

Comment

welcome
        ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
        My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
        My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
        But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
        my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Welcome to GMN. The plastic intake-manifold was used from 1996-2002 IIRC...
          '79 Continental Town Car
          '90 Crown Victoria LTD
          '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

Welcome!
            Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
            Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

Welcome..
              2000 Crown Vic LX HPP Red w/3:55 Rears
              85 Crown Vic Stock w/HPP`s
              07 JCL 250 A Scooter
              79 to 91 Mercedes S Class W126 US or Euro Versions coming soon

Comment

thanks for the welcome everyone, successfully purchased the car and is most
                notably the comfiest car i have ever had the chance to drive.
                99' Grand Marquis

Comment

Another Canadian! the takeover continues.

Post pics, by the sound of the duals and rims, you may have an HPP Car (Handling and Performance Package) which is a nice bonus.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
                  160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
                  waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

once it returns from the shop, it shall be done. just last night as i was pulling into work i noticed steam coming from the engine and alot of coolant loss, after inspecting the engine on my break we finally found out that the radiator hose connection was worn and had aloud the hose to come loose, yes i do believe i have HPP on the car, although the previous owner didnt know.
                    99' Grand Marquis

Comment

Working...
                    X