Howdy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Howdy

So here I am, joining a forum about my new old car.

I don't think I've joined a forum like this since about 2003, when I joined www.passatworld.com (then called clubb5.com.) I was a mechanic for VW then, though not anymore. It's a good group over there though, so I still post there often as Sharky.

But anyway, a drunk woman totaled my 1995 Camry, which had about 248k miles on it, turning it into a parts car for me. Thanks, bitch. The worst of it was how I was REALLY looking forward to hitting a quarter million miles and then posting odometer pics on passtworld to rub it in their kraut-loving faces. The Camry had actually won Camry of the Month there at Passatworld for April Fool's 2006. Oh, well...

Many years ago I had bought a 1984 Town Car to play with, and it was a HUGE crapbox, but I liked it anyway. Actually, anything interior-wise was junk, but mechanically it was pretty good. The Lincoln was just too ugly to drive for a young guy, though, and I sold it and got the Camry.

And so the Camry is totaled and I needed a cheap, CHEAP new ride. I was THIS close to buying something brand new, but I have been without a car payment my whole adult life and the thought of having one now was just disgusting to me.

I swore after the '84 I would never own another Town Car due to the infuriatingly horrible interior quality, but this time around I messed up and drove a tired '89 and remembered why I liked Panthers. I then found a white '88 with a blue top and interior in not terrible shape and bought it for basically nothing because it needed a heater core, which is also something the '84 needed about 12 years before when I had owned it.

So I bought it, did the heater core, and now enjoy toodling around in my slowly-dissolving gravy boat.

So, howdy.
    Last edited by Ike Clanton; 12-03-2009, 04:20 AM.

Originally posted by Ike Clanton View Post
    and now enjoy toodling around in my slowly-dissolving gravy boat.
    :lol: That is a great line. Welcome.
    1991 LTD P72 351 W Restored Century Police (Ongoing Project) Sergeant Vic.

It's a dog eat dog world and I'm wearing milk bone underwear.

Comment

I think :confused:
      ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
      My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
      My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
      But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
      my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Welcome! I also appreciated the gravy-boat line, lol. The good news is, you've already done the hardest job on these cars, which is replacing the heater core, so it can only get better from here. Any changes or improvements you want to make, just let us know and we'll be glad to lend a hand.

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
        1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
        But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

Welcome! Gravy-boats rock!!
          '79 Continental Town Car
          '90 Crown Victoria LTD
          '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

Ike Canton, that name just sounds like a mechanic from missouri.

Anyways, welcome back to the world of Panthers. Once you have been touched by the mushy seats and pillowy ride, you will always return eventually.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
            160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
            waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Welcome to the site! I bet replacing the heater core was a fun job. I personally don't think I would go through the trouble. LOL. But I hope you enjoy your car. And yes once you own a panther you always seem to find another. I am only 18 yrs old and my 89 P72 makes the 4th one that I've owned.

Comment

Welcome!
                Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
                Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Nathan in MI View Post
                  Welcome! I also appreciated the gravy-boat line, lol. The good news is, you've already done the hardest job on these cars, which is replacing the heater core, so it can only get better from here. Any changes or improvements you want to make, just let us know and we'll be glad to lend a hand.
                  After having worked on late-model VWs for several years, a TC heater core is like a roomy, relaxed stroll down memory lane of the last core I did on a TC years ago. Nobody does 10 pounds of crap in a 5 pound can quite like the Germans....

Originally posted by Brandon View Post
                  Welcome to the site! I bet replacing the heater core was a fun job. I personally don't think I would go through the trouble. LOL. But I hope you enjoy your car. And yes once you own a panther you always seem to find another. I am only 18 yrs old and my 89 P72 makes the 4th one that I've owned.
                  Yeah, I have always liked these cars. I wasn't thrilled this morning when I went out to go to work and got a crank no start with it, but I've only owned the car a couple of weeks and haven't done much to it except the heater core. I was going to go through the ignition system sooner or later, but I guess that'll be sooner now.

And I'm pretty sure the flexplate is cracked after having had extensive time running the starter motor to no avail. I had originally thought I had a big end rod bearing issue, so I'm almost glad it didn't start today. I guess I'd also be thrilled if it was just a loose torque converter bolt.

As for the Ike Clanton name, it is just a reference to a once-famous Missouran...
                  Last edited by Ike Clanton; 12-04-2009, 03:18 AM.

Comment

Welcome!
                    Former panther owner
                    1981 CV 351 4bbl
                    1991 CV 302 EFI

Comment

Working...
                    X