New Owner of a 1997 Mercury Grand Marquis GS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Owner of a 1997 Mercury Grand Marquis GS

Hello All! Like the title says I am a new owner of a Grand Marquis. The car actually has been in my family for quite sometime. First my parents owned it, they took very good care of it and put on quite a few miles(mostly highway driving across the country several times), then they gave it to my youngest brother who has treated the car very poorly, he had two accidents but they were with no other vehicles, basically the combination of heavy car and wet road, and bald tires caused him to run off the road and hit a light post(2x's). he just recently moved out of state with my parents and has now passed the car down to me(his Big Brother) and so I have been spending my time/money slowly fixing everything wrong with the car, The only major thing wrong with the car that I have noticed is the rear axel seems to possibly be slightly bent, while driving the car it has a slight shimmyish/wiggle until you get to about 60+ and then the car rides like your floating on a cloud! I personaly love the car but wish I could get better gas mileage, my previous car was a Mazda Protege with a 1.5l engine, so going from that to a 4.6l you really notice the power, and mileage, I understand that this car is a heavy beast and I also like the fact that my family and I are wrapped in steal. But gas at $3.65 a gallon, its a fortune to drive. Does anyone have any tips on the car they would like to share?!

Welcome!
    What sort of mpg are you getting out of it.
    In good working order most folks get surprisingly good mpg out of these beasts.

Also what state are you in?
    Owner of the only known 5 speed box wagon with a lift kit.
    AKA, Herkimer the Hillbilly SUV.

Axle codes
    Open/Lock/Ratio #
    -----------------------
    G / H / 2.26
    B / C / 2.47
    8 / M / 2.73
    7 / - / 3.07
    Y / Z / 3.08
    4 / D / 3.42
    F / R / 3.45
    5 / E / 3.27
    6 / W / 3.73
    2 / K / 3.55
    A / - / 3.63
    J / - / 3.85

Comment

welcome to gmn mang

1989 mercury grand marquis gs / 2014 ford focus s daily driver
      302 lopo with ho upper/ aod with trans go shift kit
      k code 3:55 posi rear/big brake swap tow package car

Comment

You pay for class with gas
        '79 Continental Town Car
        '90 Crown Victoria LTD
        '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

Welcome!
          ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
          My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
          My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
          But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
          my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Thank you everyone for the warm welcome, first some correctons, I was told the axel was bent, well thats not true, the tire had a bulge which caused the shimmy. I replaced the tire and she rides smooth! After driving this car for a few months, I have to say "I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THS CAR!" I have noticed today for $20 @ 3.89gal which gave me 5.129 gals. on a 140 mile trip 85% highway wth A/C on I got 27MPG! Ths was not the first tme either, my last $20 gave me 28MPG! Can you believe it, this car has 3X the displacement of my old car and gets 10MPG less then my mazda plus I ride wth soo much more style now! just need to get some new rims or hub cabs because the black steelies look horrible, Anyways, I'm VERY Impressed, BTW, why are they called Panthers, and Whales/Aeros? I have been to shy to ask in fear of getting BANNED/FLAMED, LOL. Additionaly, I live in Zephyrhills Florida, same place as the bottled water and am looking for some local fellow panther owners who could walk me thru the whole J-MOD and additional upgrades. I would love to meet up, chill and educate myself on these awesome rides! Thanks again!
            Last edited by dcu1976; 05-02-2011, 08:40 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

"Panther" refers to the platform that the vehicle is built on. The first year of this platform was 1979. The Town Car, Mark VI, Crown Vic, and Grand Marquis are all on this platform

Model year nicknames=
              79-91 "Box"
              92-97 "Aero" (TC 90-97= Aero)
              98+ "whale"

Hope that clears things up a bit.
              2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
              2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
              Past Panthers
              1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
              if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

Welcome to the Party!
                I think it's time I make a thread on fuel economy.

-ryan s.
                08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
                03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
                97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
                94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
                73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
                12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
                Originally posted by pantera77
                Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

Working...
                X