Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to forum after auction buy.

Hi

My Mother in law bought a 1986 Crown Vic LTD at auction for $1300.

This vehicle was advertised as having a police package installed.
    Checking the VIN shows that it is not a police vehicle.
    The only indication of any thing significant is the original
    FORD receipt has as added options
    1 Traction-lok axle
    2 Handling suspension.

Engine was rebuilt in 97 with a long block 302.

Its been a one owner vehicle with receipts dating back to date
    of purchase. Interior is immaculate. Exterior only has minor dints.

Looking over the receipts since the engine rebuild int 97. Almost
    11 grand has been spent on the vehicle. Aircon replaced with R134
    compressor etc (2010). Transmission replaced twice, one under warranty.

Was what she paid worth it? Is it worth more to try and resell?
    If kept what should be done to give it more power and economy.
    Seems sluggish compared to our 92 4.9 Cadillac Deville. Probably due to weight.

Lee

Cadillac 4.9 is rated at 200hp compared to 150-160 for the LTD. Considering the horsepower difference plus weight and gearing and the Ford's going to be slower. Lot's of info on here to get more HP from your mother in laws 5.0. You already got the traction lock axle to get the power to the ground.

Is it worth it to re sell it? I dunno that's a question for your mother in law... seems like she bought it cheap enough but it's not possible to put a value on the car with no pictures or mileage given. Does she like it?

Comment

IIRC, the '92 DeVille is a uni-body with front-wheel drive.
      '79 Continental Town Car
      '90 Crown Victoria LTD
      '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

I think that's a decent deal if it's in driveable condition. Having the air conditioning sorted is nice.

It absolutely does not have a police or fleet package. It does, however, have some other desireable features. The handling suspension is a nice one, power seats are handy, as is the trak-lok axle.

That said, I don't see you making more than 2-300 dollars. These cars tend to max out around 2000 dollars for a 4-door 302 with any real use. You've got a real nice car for daily driving or the basis of a hotrodded vic, but there's just not much money to be made in them. Keep in mind that about a million retired gentlemen mothballed these cars away or barely drove them to church on sunday, with the knowledge that these cars were a dying breed. As a result, Crown Victorias, Grand Marquis, and Town Cars are remarkably easy to find in near-showroom condition. That puts a real damper on the prices. The supply of people who don't know what to do with their deceased relative's barely touched gas guzzler is more than the demand for a semi-classic not-that-rare slow old boat that (relatively speaking) chugs gas. And I say that as a lover of these cars.

Whatever you/your mother in law does with the car, welcome to the forum! You'll find lots of stuff on here about protecting the investment or improving it. Main thing is to check out the sticky'd thread in the "box" technical forum (I think the transmission forum?) about the TV cable bushing. It's a plastic ring on the TV cable, which is parallel to the throttle cable. The ring crumbles or comes loose, the TV cable applies no input to the transmission, and it melts down in a matter of miles. Check that it's in solid condition, or preferrably replaced with a brass bushing/ring. That's about the only way to make one of these cars undriveable in short order, is letting that bushing crumble and driving it that way.
        Last edited by johnunit; 12-28-2011, 11:56 PM.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
        160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
        waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Welcome to the Party!!

-ryan s.
          08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
          03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
          97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
          94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
          73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
          12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
          Originally posted by pantera77
          Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

1300 in good running and cosmetic condition is a fair price, but I wouldn't expect to be able to sell it for more than that and turn a profit. I would be inclined to say it'll be cheaper to fix and probably less problematic than the Caddy though.

Sounds like you've got a slightly optioned up base model. Power seat, power windows, split bench, wire hubcaps and "granny trim". I dont really know why they list AC as an option, because I have yet to ever hear of one of these cars that didn't have it. I guess maybe just everyone ticked the box? I've also never seen one without a passenger side mirror.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Mine has no passenger side mirror. It was a $27 dollar option, give or take a few bucks. It did become standard by the end of the Box (79-91) era.

IIRC the AC became standard in 87. I would have guessed 85 or 86 before I saw the window sticker in this thread.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
              160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
              waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

Comment

Welcome.

Originally posted by johnunit View Post
                I think that's a decent deal if it's in driveable condition. Having the air conditioning sorted is nice.

It absolutely does not have a police or fleet package. It does, however, have some other desireable features. The handling suspension is a nice one, power seats are handy, as is the trak-lok axle.

That said, I don't see you making more than 2-300 dollars. These cars tend to max out around 2000 dollars for a 4-door 302 with any real use. You've got a real nice car for daily driving or the basis of a hotrodded vic, but there's just not much money to be made in them. Keep in mind that about a million retired gentlemen mothballed these cars away or barely drove them to church on sunday, with the knowledge that these cars were a dying breed. As a result, Crown Victorias, Grand Marquis, and Town Cars are remarkably easy to find in near-showroom condition. That puts a real damper on the prices. The supply of people who don't know what to do with their deceased relative's barely touched gas guzzler is more than the demand for a semi-classic not-that-rare slow old boat that (relatively speaking) chugs gas. And I say that as a lover of these cars.

Whatever you/your mother in law does with the car, welcome to the forum! You'll find lots of stuff on here about protecting the investment or improving it. Main thing is to check out the sticky'd thread in the "box" technical forum (I think the transmission forum?) about the TV cable bushing. It's a plastic ring on the TV cable, which is parallel to the throttle cable. The ring crumbles or comes loose, the TV cable applies no input to the transmission, and it melts down in a matter of miles. Check that it's in solid condition, or preferrably replaced with a brass bushing/ring. That's about the only way to make one of these cars undriveable in short order, is letting that bushing crumble and driving it that way.

Tis an 86 model John. Different TV cable set up.
                ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

My bad. I'll go back to my carbureted corner.

Comment

LOL!

Seems like pretty decent deal. I'd drive it.

I'll also take 'Engine Block Heater' for $18

Pete
                    Originally posted by gadget73
                    For other types of inquiry, more information is required. Please press 4 to speak to a representative who can help you with your question. This call may be monitored for quality assurance purposes.

2003 Grand Marquis Ultimate, the "Stealth Bomber": http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...-Grand-Marquis
                    1991 S-10, 'Bulldog', 2.5l 5 speed: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...375#post698375
                    1985 Town Car, 'Faded Glory', gone but not forgotten. 84/87/91/97 MGMs too.

Comment

Is this the TV cable you are refering to.

And what is this. Im totally new to 302 v8s. Ive been a 4 cylinder driver all my life until recently.

This item is under the AC compressor on the bottom left of the motor looking from the front.

An here she is. I really need to park her somewhere for better pictures.

Comment

clean car. looks like someone added aftermarket hub/wire caps

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
                        1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
                        1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
                        2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
                        2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

Very clean. Nice car.

The part below the ac is the 'smog pump' or air pump. It forces fresh air into the cats and/or exhaust ports to burn excess fuel. It's purely an emissions device. It isn't hurting anything besides a couple hp and the weight and space. Some remove it for those benefits, but you may have trouble passing inspection or emissions in some areas without it. Plus, you know, you're polluting a bit more.

Comment

Smog pump. Useless. Looks like someone already did the work for you and bypassed the belt. They tend to make a lot of funky noises when they get old.

yes, thats the TV cable. the one towards the center of the motor specifically is the cable. no bushing on it, its got the one-year cable design. Don't pull that straight down, or it will break. It slides towards the front of the car, then it will slip off the post. The cable on the opposite side is the throttle cable. Looks like no cruise control? I dont see the bulky double cable setup that CC uses.
                            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

So your saying that the TV cable should have a bushing on it. Could that be why the last two transmissions failed?

Comment

Working...
                              X