New to this site with an 86 Grand Marquis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to this site with an 86 Grand Marquis

Hi everyone, Justin from San Antonio, TX here! I came to this site to get advice from fellow Grand Marquis owners as well as help out when I can. I have a 1986 Grand Marquis LS that I got from my grandmother late last year. It only has about 47k original miles on it as of this posting Here are some pictures I took of it last year:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1813.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	102.5 KB
ID:	1298861Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1815.jpg
Size:	146.9 KB
ID:	1298862Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1817.jpg
Size:	142.8 KB
ID:	1298863Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1818.jpg
Size:	110.1 KB
ID:	1298864Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1821.jpg
Size:	135.5 KB
ID:	1298865Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1823.jpg
Size:	121.0 KB
ID:	1298866
    The main problem I am having right now is the fuel gauge. It seems to work fine as long as the weather outside is hot, but when it's cold it just stays on E with the Low Fuel light on. I checked the plug that connects to the sending unit on the fuel tank and cleaned it but that didn't fix the problem. If the float was sunk it wouldn't work in hot or cold weather would it? Any ideas on what else the problem might be would be of great help!

What happens when you jump the two pins on the sending unit plug?

Comment

Nice car! It looks to be in very good condition. If your main issue is a wonky fuel gauge you're ahead of the game.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
      160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
      waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Originally posted by johnunit View Post
        Nice car! It looks to be in very good condition. If your main issue is a wonky fuel gauge you're ahead of the game.
        Haha +1

Car is mint.

Comment

I'll get back to you on that 86VickyLX when I try that out. Thanks Johnunit, it was always parked in a covered carport so that helped keep the vinyl top and dash in good condition. It does have some other "cosmetic" issues to be worked out, such as the front passenger side door lock slider is stuck, both back seat power windows don't work, and it has a weird electrical glitch going on. The trunk light, overhead map lights, vanity mirror lights will only work when the back right side door is open >.> As soon as you close it, any of those lights that are on will turn off. I don't see how the door light switch button would affect any of those other things.

Comment

welcome to the fourm!!
            1984 mercury grand marquis ls rebuilt 306 flat top pistons with factory cfi and lincoln headers with single glasspack dual snorkle air cleaner. Gloss black paint with slick top coversion.
            1986 mercury grand marquis colony park 5.0 sefi dual exhuast thrush turbos with h pipe and turbines

Comment

Thanks 84merc, and 86Vicky I jumped the two pins and the fuel gauge goes straight to Full, take the jump out and it drops down to E again.

Comment

Welcome Justin. Nice ride you have there. Enjoy it.
                ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

That dash pad looks flawless, wish I could find one that was that good
                  1985 LTD Crown Victoria - Currently restoring after she caught fire! CFI to SEFI to Carb swap, all custom wiring, Duraspark 2 ignition, Motorcraft 2100 Carb, slicktop, Shorty headers dumped before rear axle, 140 Speedo, 3G alt, And currently building an engine for her.

2000 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series - 165XXX, PI intake swap , 30 MPG Easy on the Highway, All options except dual exhaust. Currently looking for 2 front seats: Heated, Memory, and Light Graphite color!!

Comment

Welcome. Your 86 looks way better than my 88. My 88 used to have the hood stripes too... but they've long since faded/flaked off.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                    Originally posted by dmccaig
                    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

So by jumping the plug for the fuel sender and the fuel gauge going up to Full is that just to verify that the gauge is working properly and the problem might be in the sender?

Comment

Welcome The hood stripes are a nice touch.
                        '79 Continental Town Car
                        '90 Crown Victoria LTD
                        '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

Welcome to the party.. Car is gorgeous man

Comment

Thanks for the comments on the car! My grandmother always having it parked in the carport at her house really helped keep the paint and vinyl top in good condition. I need to start putting something on the dash pad and vinyl top now though since at my house I don't have a covered parking spot for it. Any suggestions on what's good to use on the vinyl top and dash pad?

Comment

I would suggest 303 Aerospace Protectant.
                              http://www.303products.com/shop303/i...protectant.cfm

you might also get the leather/vinyl cleaner as well. I use those on my Mark to keep the time it does spend in the sun from killing the leather and vinyl.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                              Originally posted by dmccaig
                              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
                              X