New Father & Daughter Project. 1989 TC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Father & Daughter Project. 1989 TC

Hello everyone! I have been part of a lot of auto forums and I have found/spoke/worked with a lot of car people way smarter than myself. I never thought I'd find this site! I have been looking off and on over the last few months for a custom Towncar online and couldnt find a thing. Then I stumble across this site today and its a heard, flock, gaggle of Panther Einsteins! Im so excited to finally know Im heading down a road to making our TC what I want.

A little background. Im 44 and have always had cars as my passion. Unfortunately nothing has gone in a manner that has ever let me indulge in it. Ive had alot of Irocs, 60's muscles, new GTO, etc, but its always been a purchase and pay thing. No money to do extra. My oldest daughter is gone and my youngest just got her temps. I went through a divorce last year and picked up a 63,000 mile TC for $1000. Interior is immaculate. Mileage is low. Body doesnt have a spot of rust (two dents) and it runs like new. Now that things are settling out and the kid needs a car, I figured its the perfect storm. She needs to learn that you dont get a new car cause all your friends do. You can make something old, something cool. I get to play finally. And in the end, its an awesome, safe and low budget car!

We have some ideas. It was originally going to go all down to metal and be clear coated. Then when I got to the composite end pieces, we scrapped that. Now we're going to try the new style old hot rod. Keep it cool, but bring back some old styles too. Im pretty eclectic in all tastes, so why not this too! We took the old roof off as it was shot. We stripped off all the chrome/shiney except the bumpers, grill and hood ornament. The rear permanent windows are going to get welded up along with both front and back "side" turn signals. The door handles are most likely going too. If its going to be sleek, what the heck! The colors most likely going hot rod black, but maybe new rims. We've been working two weeks stripping it to bare metal and have rattle canned it back into hot rod black. It goes to a local body shop shortly where I have talked the owner into renting us a bay. We do not know much about body work......ok, next to nothing, but I figured no better time to learn. While I have it in there over the winter, I really want to update some of the components. Especially since the whole dog house will be off of it. Much easier to get to those nasty parts then! Just in my day on here, I have found all kinds of info about the brake swaps, engines, suspension, etc. Cant wait to get started.

I guess I'll move over to the tech pages. Hope to talk to a bunch of you soon! Here was our start and where it sits now.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04692.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	135.7 KB
ID:	1299131Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-09-16 11.50.46.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	266.4 KB
ID:	1299132
    sigpic 1989 Lincoln Towncar, All Stock.....Today

welcome to the club! you will find everything you need to know here. and if you dont, we can help you in the right direction. these cars make great first vehicles.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
    1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
    1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
    2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
    2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

Welcome! Looks like a neat project. I would say that if you're going to go flat black, especially on the roof, AC is not optional, it's a must.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
      160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
      waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

I can think of a member who will much appreciate this. I'm one of those chrome trim guys myself but as long as you like it, why not?
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Welcome to GMN! Visit us anytime
          '79 Continental Town Car
          '90 Crown Victoria LTD
          '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

Welcome!

sigpic

I'd rather be a failure at something I love than a success at something I hate.
            George Burns

Comment

Welcome sounds like a good project

Comment

Fun! Good luck.

Pete
                Originally posted by gadget73
                For other types of inquiry, more information is required. Please press 4 to speak to a representative who can help you with your question. This call may be monitored for quality assurance purposes.

2003 Grand Marquis Ultimate, the "Stealth Bomber": http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...-Grand-Marquis
                1991 S-10, 'Bulldog', 2.5l 5 speed: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...375#post698375
                1985 Town Car, 'Faded Glory', gone but not forgotten. 84/87/91/97 MGMs too.

Comment

Thanks for the welcoming everyone. Look, even Ohio peoples.

Comment

Welcome to the site! Not only are there Ohio peoples, there are Ohio peoples pretty close to you. I'm over near Kings Island, and there's another guy (Zoomie) that kinda frequents the area in a Townie with a very similar vibe to yours. Not too many people out there tackling the "Slicktop Townie" look. You'll have to let us all know how you handle it.

2000 Mercury Grand Marquis GS HPP - SOLD
                    Wore out the cam chain tensioners and jumped time at 176k miles.

Comment

Ziggie, thanks for the info. I've been wanting to see some other townies to see what others are doing. I've always been in groups, like the new GTO's, where everyone had the same. The biggest reason I took the Town was to have something different! The top is a big challenge, but I like it slick. We're also getting rid of the rear small windows and the side marker lights just to make sure it stands out! I actually work right over by KI. Well, at 42 and 275. The house is actually in Fairfield Township right over by Bridgewater Falls if you know the area. I'll have to look up Zoomie. See ya soon!

Comment

If you're at 42 and 275 for work, I can't believe I've not seen your ride rolling around here. I work in the same area, just off Kemper. I'm sure I'll see ya 'round.

Comment

If you're on Kemper, then we could be within a mile. If you know where the Peterbuilt dealership is just past 42, I'm in a strip business right behind it. Engineering/Lighting firm right off Hauck. I had been driving the car for a year (until this past winter) in the original old brown. It has just hit the road again this week in its new duds. What am I to be on the look out for?

Comment

I know pretty much right where that is. I go up Hauck to get lunch all the time. Keep an eye out for my Spruce Green Metallic 2000 GM HPP. My tail lights are lightly tinted and debadged, and I'm pretty sure I have one of the only Grand Marquis' with a white AMA (American Motorcyclists Association) sticker in the back window. I'll peek over there next time I run up Hauck to see if I can spot your ride. Now that I think of it, I've probably already spotted your ride!

Comment

Well very interesting, I thought I was seeing double for a minute. If you check out my picture section you'll see what these bad boys look like, mostly completed. I did the townie slick top originally,well the only known running one anyway.i am very much all for turning tc s into hot rods. If you look at my black project section I have all kinds of stuff that I did. I sadly had to get rid of it,but I have another one that I have new plans for. Welcome to gmn bro. Keep up the awesome work! If you have anyw questions I'll do my best to answer and help you. Out
                              89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

Working...
                              X