I'm new to this site and gms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm new to this site and gms

Hello I picked up my new to me grand marquis Monday it's a 1997 fully loaded car leather interior digital dash climate control everything u could think of and the steering is loose to me I'm wondering if this would be caused by tie rods the car had been jumped and the air bags went off nothing but the front valance broke but I need to fix the problem before I license it and start driving this gem, thank you in advance for any info help I can get on this!

1. Address the junk plastic crossover tube on the intake, the thread on here is missing it's photo but google still has it cached. http://www.google.com/imgres?hl=en&c...1&tx=103&ty=58

Very front of the engine, if it's black plastic, it likes to melt. Newer intake gasket is silvery metal and less prone to destroy your engine. They fixed it from the factory in '02 and up. It may never go, but better safe than sorry.
    Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

loose steering could be the steering box in need of adjustment, but yeah... steering links may be shot from the launch. Jack up one front corner and see if you can move the wheel that's in the air left and right (like the steering would push it) and watch the tie rod ends and links and such. anything that moves is suspect. tie rod ends should NOT move in hole. Pitman arm on the steering box should have a very slight slight bit of swing back and forth, but no shaft play (it should not wiggle in place in the steering box). all greaseable joints should not have any play and should move smoothly.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Congrats! My 97 was one of the best cars I've ever owned.

Where are you located?

Pete
        Originally posted by gadget73
        For other types of inquiry, more information is required. Please press 4 to speak to a representative who can help you with your question. This call may be monitored for quality assurance purposes.

2003 Grand Marquis Ultimate, the "Stealth Bomber": http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...-Grand-Marquis
        1991 S-10, 'Bulldog', 2.5l 5 speed: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...375#post698375
        1985 Town Car, 'Faded Glory', gone but not forgotten. 84/87/91/97 MGMs too.

Comment

Welcome!
          '79 Continental Town Car
          '90 Crown Victoria LTD
          '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

Thank you all for the info I'm more of a carb guy ive delt with a lot of older motors and when it comes to fuel injection I'm a diesel guy my daily driver is a 97 ford f250 ext cab long bed 4x4 xlt 7.3l powerstroke diesel and its a blast to drive I love it and plan on adding more power later on in life but rite now I'm focused on this car for my fiancé to drive to work and for us to drive around because its cheaper then my truck ill get it on the jack ASAP and check everything out I've done a lot with rear suspension for launching on the drag strip including 4 links with coil overs but front suspension is a foreign land for me and I'm locate in Moscow mills mo

Comment

Working...
            X