Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Greetings!

Hello all!

Brand new here! Thank you for having this site!

I have an '87 Grand Marquis, technically owned by the family trust, but its mine to maintain...

Also an '85 Crown Vic, which is the one I need help with... It's been sitting for a while and I'm trying to get it going, smog it (Yeah, California), and sell it. It has that lovely CFI system... Fuel has been changed out, fuel filter has been changed out.

Trying to start it, it'll start but dies immediately. The only way to keep it running is to keep feathering the gas. As near as I can tell, the only time it actually puts fuel through the injectors is when the gas pedal is moving down. Not holding it down, but actually moving down. Hence the feathering thing...

I suspect the Engine Control Module is bad, but don't want to drop $100 to test that.

Anybody seen something like this?

Thanks again!

Russ

Also, in case it makes a difference, it seems to be a late '84. To replace the cap and rotor the '85 doesn't fit. Have to get the one for an '84.

Thanks!

Comment

Welcome to the Party!!

-ryan s.
      08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
      03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
      97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
      94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
      73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
      12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
      Originally posted by pantera77
      Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

Welcome! I'm not CFI expert, but there's a few guys on here good with them. Stick around and I'm sure we'll get to the bottom of it.

Where are you located? you may even be near someone who can help you out in person.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
        160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
        waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Welcome.

You may want to post your question is a separate thread with a title summarizing your question/problem.
          like "Help 84/85 engine starts won't run"

Good luck,
          Jay
          03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
          02 SL500 Silver Arrow
          08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
          12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Welcome to the party!
            '79 Continental Town Car
            '90 Crown Victoria LTD
            '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

Welcome man, I hope you find help with your problems.

Comment

Welcome! I had a problem like this one time and it was the ignition switch (located in the column). Ford recalled a ton of years and models b/c of this issue. Car would start and immediately upon letting up on the key it would go dead. Probably not your issue if the car keeps running while you are feathering the gas. Check the TPS and MAP if the 85 CFI has them.

Comment

Thank you, thank you, and thank you!

The ignition switch is also new, it was giving me the standard trouble so replaced... (Replaced the one in my Grand Marquis, too)

I'm in Sacramento, CA.

I'll repost in an appropriate area, too.

Comment

Welcome!

Sounds like you have a couple of nice cars there. This place is great for knowledge of these cars and advise. I'm sure you'll find an answer soon!

Comment

Thanks! Reposted in what I hope is the appropriate area.

Looking forward to getting this thing solved...

Comment

Working...
                      X