New Guy. 1991 LTD Crown Victoria

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It may play nice, or it may not. Try it out, tells how it worked out
    The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
    The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
      Limited knowledge my ass! Your humility is commendable though.
      Lol, I meant on this topic since I've never actually done such a swap.
      I have done a little research on the '86-'92 Mark VII swap and found that the table in the following link http://www.grandmarq.net/oldfuelinje...0Lpinouts.html is a great resource, although there are some nuances where a few of the pins were not correct for the entire model year range but enough people here (myself included) have EVTMs that we can clarify those minor model year differences in pinouts.
      Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
      ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
      ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
      ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Far as exhaust, fox mustang shorty headers fit, as well as fox mustang h-pipes(mid-pipe). May require a bit of modification to tuck up neatly but they do fit nice. If you want to go 2.5" all the way back, pick your mufflers and tips, and buy these tailpipes http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo....sn=458&jsn=458 http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo....049701&jsn=460

You could also just get the stock replacement crown vic tailpipes and go to stock-size duals. I would definitely grab that t-bird engine and whack it in there. A TransGo shift kit comes with a hi-rev governor but you also may want to check your throttle valve bushing. This is what connects the tv(kickdown) cable to the trans at the throttle body. If the bushing is worn or the cable has fallen off your shifts will be low, it won't kickdown when you gas it, and it will fry your trans in short order.

Far as the rearend goes, i can definitely vouch for 3.55 being a WAY better gearset in these cars. My first '90 had 3.08s and my current one has 3.55. World of difference in how the car gets off the line. Couple that with large tires and dismal horsepower and you can beat just about anybody off the line to about 30mph, lol. With a turd stock lopo and 255/50/17s my car will barely chirp the tires if i stick it off the line.

Anyhow, far as the top end stuff goes, i'll piggyback what the others said mostly. E7 heads are nothing special, so if you're going to spend money, spend good money and buy good heads. GT40's would be a good choice, or even go upmarket and get some windsor jr. or sr. heads, or even go to aluminum. I scored a set of edelbrock performer 5.0's for cheap and they will be going on my car. I can say that going too far with intakes and such can be lame with a lopo. On my first '90 i put said edelbrock heads, a typhoon(performer rpm) intake, 65mm throttle body/spacer, 77mm maf and 24lb injectors. Completely killed the low-end torque i was used to in the car but it pulled like a train beyond about 2500rpm til i was afraid to blow it up and shifted. Injectors were too big which didn't help and that was in the car with 3.08s. With better gearing and tuning, i think the combo, or something similar, would be great fun. I assume since it's an Oregon car yours doesn't have a MAF sensor?

Comment

With the GT40 heads the spark plug angle can be impossible to access at all with some headers. I think it's good if you get the BBK 1515? or Ford Racing headers. You don't want to be stuck removing your headers to change the spark plugs!
          Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

Originally posted by His Royal Ghostliness View Post
            Nah, you're the one with a lift, engine hoist and better tools and more know-how. You try it. Maybe net brownie points???
            1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
            1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

I am contemplating trying it out myself. I asked this very question on stangnet; although I couldn't get a definitive answer, most there seem to believe that it would probably work. They know their stuff over there. https://www.stangnet.com/mustang-for...ations.895587/

Originally posted by sxcpotatoes View Post
              With the GT40 heads the spark plug angle can be impossible to access at all with some headers. I think it's good if you get the BBK 1515? or Ford Racing headers. You don't want to be stuck removing your headers to change the spark plugs!
              The Ford Racing headers (part number M-9430-P50) were discontinued a while back and seem to be non-existent on eBay or anywhere else. I did, however, find out that MAC makes a shorty header that fits on GT40Ps without obstructing the spark plugs: https://www.americanmuscle.com/mac-c...993-gt40p.html
              —John

1985 Ford F-150 XLT Lariat
              1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (POTM March 2017 & May 2019 - gone, but not forgotten)
              1995 Mustang SVT Cobra coupe (cream puff)
              1966 Mustang coupe (restoration in-progress)

Comment

Well, I have put together at least one P-headed Explo engine in a Mk7 and it ran good, but others have had issues.

Regular GT40 heads are OK in the spark plugs department, it's the P heads that are funky. Pretty sure BBK makes nice headers for them tho, in stainless or ceramic-coated versions.
                The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.

Comment

Would a Mark VII computer run that with no issues? Can't remember if they uses the 351/HO firing order too
                  Yep, put a lot of miles on one set up that way.
                  Worst case scenario just do a Mass Air swap, it's 4 wires.
                  2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
                  2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
                  2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                  1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

You try it. Maybe net brownie points???
                    Done it a while ago, it worked good - brownie points got converted into cash which got converted into wardrobe accessories which got converted into brownie points with the GF

But yeah usually it goes well, but sometimes it doesn't. Not sure if there's a pattern as to why that happens, for example which ECMs play nice and which ones throw a fit. Cause Mk7s got more than one type, I'm guessing some are more tolerant to big engine performance changes than others?

Comment

Car is a california car. Grandmother bought brand new in 1991. Ihave read that some ca cars were mass airflow but i think this one is a speed density as i dont see what would be a maf sensor. Im a plumber not really a car mechanic. I drove the same 1974 ford hiboy from 1988 to 2007 when i bought my first diesel dodge. My wife drove 2 expeditions a 97 and 03 for years she now h
                      1991 lx. Grandmas car. 80k. Garage queen

Comment

Oops hit wrong spot on silly pad. She now has an edge. I have always done brakes and minor repairs on all the rigs and whatever on the ild ford, it was easy. Too many variables on these newer rigs even a 27 year old cv. I dont want a hot rod just more power pulling up hills and when passing. The cool factor is nice, not too many idiots fixing up old square boxes around here. They are all driving priuses and saving the planet. You guys obviously know your stuff and i appreciate ALL the input. Thanks so much and keep it coming. I'm gonna pimp out grandmas car to some extent, no drag racer but something with some juevos would be great.

Comment

short term not super complex investment: HO upper intake, dual exhaust, and change the rear gears. The exhaust and gears will be very useful with a better motor anyway.
                          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

and your butt dyno will like the gears.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                            Originally posted by gadget73
                            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                            Originally posted by dmccaig
                            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

My thinking was to start with gears and dual exhaust. I want to keep car comfortable dont want something loud and obnoxious. I dont want to chase issues that seem inevitable with poorly thought out modifications. Car has 80k miles and is giving no indication that there are any mechanical issues. Purchasing tbird ho motor and tranny would give me the option of building a solid setup at my leisure. 300 bucks seems cheap for a platform if its viable. I have no intention of getting out of reasonable driveability no drag car. I havr a company vehicle i drive most the time and only drive the cv for fun and to keep gas fresh.

Comment

Originally posted by pantera77 View Post
                                Yep, put a lot of miles on one set up that way.
                                Worst case scenario just do a Mass Air swap, it's 4 wires.
                                Cool, so if a dude does decide to go with a MAF swap, will he also need a MAF computer? I can't remember if peeps said they're the same or not. I want to say they're not, isn't the AL9P the computer you want or something? Talking from my ass here.

Done it a while ago, it worked good - brownie points got converted into cash which got converted into wardrobe accessories which got converted into brownie points with the GF

But yeah usually it goes well, but sometimes it doesn't. Not sure if there's a pattern as to why that happens, for example which ECMs play nice and which ones throw a fit. Cause Mk7s got more than one type, I'm guessing some are more tolerant to big engine performance changes than others?
                                Brownie points with the GF are always a good thing.
                                You know, I was wondering about if Ford made changes to the tune over the years. I can't imagine they ran the same exact tune from say '87-'92 on a Mark.. I know internally the computers changed but no idea if the tune did or didn't.
                                1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                                1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Working...
                                X