VicCrownVic's 1989 Colony Park - Large Marge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VicCrownVic's 1989 Colony Park - Large Marge

As mentioned, a while back, Marge has changed hands again. I also mentioned that it would take a while before I could get her home, and today was finally the day. Thanks to Derek for carting me out to Grand1's place and following me back.

It's been 20 years since I had my last wagon, a 1988 Country Squire that my parents owned but it was referred to as my car. probably my favorite panther to date even though dad took it back over the following year when he gifted me with a $200 high school graduation gift 1989 Grand Marquis (50th anniversary edition, first car I actually owned). Anyway, all that to say many of you who have been around here a while have seen my posts stating that I would like to have another wagon someday. Although I didn't quite feel that I was ready for another wagon yet since I don't have a garage. I even tried to convince Grand1 to sell it to anyone else who was interested, but in the end we worked out a deal.

Part of the deal was that I could not bring it home right away. So last time I was at his place I did some work to fix a power steering leak (new hoses and seals), fixed the window motors in the middle doors (7/16 nylon ball bearings like I did in The Ice Car), and put my spare set of wheels and tires on (since the tires on the HPPs, date code 2014, were quite bad.)

Grand1 was actually out of town today, but we had previously agreed to me picking up the wagon today, since I already had the keys, title, registration, and insurance. When Derek and I got there Marge would not start. Figuring I needed a jump we attempted to do so, but Derek found that the battery cables were loose. I also found one of my tires was low, which I was not expecting but it's still holding. Stopped for gas a few miles down the road and Marge started right back up. Stopped for a restroom a few blocks down the road since the gas station restroom was out of order, and Marge started right up again. The ride went smooth after that. Even with speed limits of 70 MPH, and a little construction backup on I96/I696.

In total I ended up putting 130 miles on. 73 of that being just getting from Grand1's place back to my place.
    Thins I did today:
    Vacuumed out the way back before taking the family over to the Mother-in-law's place.
    I fixed the CHMSL, just need the connection in the socket squeezed together.
    I replaced the horn/front cig lighter fuse, and the horn now works and the wife's phone was charging at the same time.
    The tailgate lock motor was not mounted, so I remounted it.
    That lock motor works but the actual lock mechanism does not work. I was running out of time this evening so I left the tailgate door in a state where the outside handle will not open it since I don't need unwanted visitors. The panel is off so I can open it from the inside when I get time to investigate further.

I'll end up stealing one of the window motors from The Ice Car since the tailgate window motor is inop.

I didn't get many pictures since I was busy driving and exploring as much of the car as I could.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20230729_134021532_HDR.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	2.25 MB
ID:	1390478

Name:	IMG_20230729_172940212.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	2.92 MB
ID:	1390479

Name:	IMG_20230729_172956355.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	3.46 MB
ID:	1390480
    Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
    ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
    ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
    ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Very nice! Color reminds me of Nick's '89, but I think yours has a little more purple tinge to it. Wood grain still looks pretty good.

Got any particular plans for it going forwards?

My Cars:
    -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
    -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
    -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
    -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

Hurray on the acquisition. Enjoy your wagon!
      ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
      My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
      My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
      But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
      my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Glad you got it! I bet you're going to enjoy driving this one quite a bit.
        1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
        1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
        Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
        Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Good to see she found another good home! I recall having some issues with the tailgate mechanisms as well
          -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

Thanks all!
            As for plans, I'm not much for planning. My entire life is more of a general direction and roll with the punches, LOL. Any planning only comes together when work is imminent.

The overall direction is a decent driver. Not a daily driver but capable of doing so if needed. Some cruising, maybe some road trips in the distant future. To accomplish this, getting the AC going next year will help since it's a bit loud for my taste for long road trips. Derek called me twice on the ride home and I never heard it. I could hardly hear my GPS and had to glance to see what it said the next turn and road was until I got back to more familiar territory.

In the absence of plans, dreams include fixing up the rust and rot. Keeping it about as stock as it currently is is the general plan. I think all the mods that I would want to do have already been done.
            Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
            ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

Also, I checked Nick's '89, he needs more pictures. His might be more closer to the color of The Scab, but maybe more brown than The Scab. In another picture his looked the same color as Marge, but I'm pretty sure it's more brown which matches what you said, Kwolf.
              Last edited by VicCrownVic; 07-30-2023, 06:24 PM.
              Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
              ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

Was a good time and I got to see Mark's cars again. Dig that '78 of his as well as his banana yellow '79. Glad this retrieval went so smoothly, I'm used to at least two unexpected stops and "WTF?" moments. Car looked good going down the road, no funny smells or smoke.
                1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Spent a few hours after work cleaning Marge up a little. I started with the windshield, inside and out, since I needed to reinstall the rearview mirror. Of course that snowballed into cleaning the dash, the doors, and the door jambs and sills.

This is not the first car that I bought and drove home without a rearview mirror. The Scab also needed the rearview mirror reinstalled when I bought it. That mirror has been hanging on since around late 2017, the second time I reinstalled it. I've used the same Permatex kit each time. The last time in The Scab I made sure to follow the instructions to a T with the only deviations being lightly scuffing the glass where the button mounts and holding the button longer than the minute the instructions say. I held the button 3 minutes this time; not sure how long I did in 2017. Instructions say to not mount the mirror until after 30 minutes; I remounted the mirror a bit over 2 hours later.

Hopefully this week will allow more time after work to continue the interior cleaning and then move to exterior before this weekend. We'll be taking this car over to the in-laws place. There are yard sales going on all over town for Memphis Festival Days. (Memphis, MI. If you park at the post office, you'll see Marge.) The yard sales have been fewer and less interesting over the years but we'll see how this year is.

I'm pretty sure I told the wife before that the rear seats fold down and it's basically I small truck bed. When she saw the seats folded down today she didn't seem to remember that I told her this, but she did think it was really neat. She's starting to understand why I wanted another wagon.
                  Last edited by VicCrownVic; 08-01-2023, 10:11 PM.
                  Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                  ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

Got the interior as clean as I could, and although I didn't get pics of the interior it cleans up quite nicely. Moved on to the exterior, but nothing more than a quick wash Friday evening, mainly to get some light mud spry along the front fenders and doors but I did wash the entire exterior.

Saturday morning we went to the in-laws place for the day. I had plans to adjust the TV cable as it seemed the pressure was a bit high last weekend when I drove it. The other possibility that I was thinking was the TV cable needs a lube so I didn't want to adjust the cable until I knew for certain that it wasn't just a case of needing some lube. I knew it wasn't a trans fluid level as that checked good and looked amazingly very clean. First thing I noticed Saturday morning was the shifts felt right, meaning the TV cable only needed lube. All day yesterday and today I've been having a blast driving Marge around now that she's shifting right. Also, now that she's shifting right the exhaust noise level isn't unbearable. She was holding gears too long which now I know was the TV cable binding.

I managed to get some exterior pics this weekend.

Name:	IMG_20230805_161322798.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	3.35 MB
ID:	1390670

Name:	IMG_20230805_161406955.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	3.44 MB
ID:	1390671

Name:	IMG_20230805_172632257.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	3.42 MB
ID:	1390672

Name:	IMG_20230805_172646222.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	3.08 MB
ID:	1390673

Name:	IMG_20230805_172708322.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	2.72 MB
ID:	1390674
                    Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                    ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

Some nice wheel covers???
                      What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
                      What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Comment

Those wheels are only staying until next year when I get new tires on the HPPs which were on before I bought this car. If I do anything this year it will be grab 2 more '98 Mountaineer center caps (since I already have 2 spares) and required collared lug nuts like my '98 has. While that wheel setup looks great on the '98, I'm not crazy about it for this car. I like the look of the HPPs better on Marge.
                        Last edited by VicCrownVic; 08-06-2023, 10:37 PM. Reason: Model year correction, '88 -> '98
                        Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                        ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

I also figured out last night that I can barely see the speedometer at night (even on the brightest setting) so I'll have to do something about that before any more night driving. (Since cruise now works, I only had to see my speed to set the cruise, but I was extremely annoyed by how poorly I could see the thing.) I never had that problem in my '89 MGM, but it was 20 newer and my eyes were 20 years younger. If some of the dust that was cleaned during the interior cleaning is any indicator, I may just need to dust the inside of the cluster (bulbs and blue covers and such) and replace any bulbs if they are dead.
                          Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                          ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

Looking good. Cleans up nicely.
                            ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                            My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                            My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                            But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                            my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Also try rolling the potentiometer up and down numerous times.
                              03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                              02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                              08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                              12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Working...
                              X