No announcement yet.

New Guy. 1991 LTD Crown Victoria

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Incomplete msg. The MAF is in a separate section away from throttle body, correct? between TB and air cleaner? Mine does not seem to have one.
    1991 lx. Grandmas car. 80k. Garage queen

Comment

Knucklehead, nice to hear from fellow plumbers. I started in 1988 right after I graduated from high school. I have always liked what I do, we are in the commercial industry. Most of my work is on the Oregon State University campus. Maintenance contracts up to new facilities. We have both wet and dry side mechanical at our shop, I run the wet side. I'm very sorry to see you are stuck in the hell that is California. I was down there for a few weeks last spring when grandmothers health was failing. She lived in Modesto, I could not believe the insanity that was going on down there. It was during all that nonsense at Berkeley. I say run, run far far away. If you are ever looking to relocate, get an Oregon license and come see me.

Comment

Very nice!

I believe the MAF would be closer to the air cleaner. Also for a MAF car the air cleaner is mounted in front of the driver side wheel/behind the driver side headlights and header panel while non MAF cars have the air cleaner mounted between the driver side wheel and driver side of the engine (mounted bracket bolted on with studs on the hears of 3 of the exhaust manifold bolts).

Pic of factory SD setup:
        Click image for larger version

Name:	22250120031_large.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	139.6 KB
ID:	1282779

The pic below is my engine bay (1991 MGM, SD car) with 1990 Lincoln Town Car air cleaner, fan shroud/coolant overflow, washer bottle setup.
        Although this is an SD car, this setup is basically what the MAF setup will look like only with MAF just after the air cleaner.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	20161127_151309.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	263.0 KB
ID:	1282780
        Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
        ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
        ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
        ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Definitely an SD car.

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
            96 to 97.5 should have the GT40 (non p) heads with the better to work on spark plug angle. The IAT sensor hole was not used on any of them (that I know of), thought the flat spot is there on the earlier intakes.
            Correct! The earlier lower intakes have the boss for the IAT sensor but it's not drilled and tapped for it, that's something one have to do on their own. That's not the main reason why you want that intake tho - EGR is the reason. Earlier intakes had the EGR routed thru them very much like a Panther and Mk7 have it, then for the '98 models they switched to external EGR by means of a pipe coming off the passenger-side exhaust manifold (which obviously won't work in a Panther without some custom work). The non-EGR lower intake also completely lacks the boss for the IAT sensor, which is not an issue if one does a MAF setup but if staying with speed-density is the goal it will present a problem. At the same rate AFAIK all internal-EGR engines used regular GT40 heads, while the external-EGR engines ran GT40P heads that flow better but there is the mess with the headers... And before someone asks, yes the P-heads are compatible with the earlier internal-EGR intakes, that's exactly what that Mk7 I mentioned earlier runs.
            The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
            The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

HRG the reason I said get a P72 engine and drivetrain is more durable and then you can beef up the engine for some speed, cops tend to abuse their patrol cars so they have to be built tough. So west the fellas have gave you some food for thought.

Comment

Yes they have. Time to start digging over at the auto wreckers. My car runs perfectly, so I am not going to be in a hurry to tear it apart. In the meantime, I will just keep driving it around.

Comment

Originally posted by Rodentkiller View Post
                  HRG the reason I said get a P72 engine and drivetrain is more durable and then you can beef up the engine for some speed, cops tend to abuse their patrol cars so they have to be built tough. So west the fellas have gave you some food for thought.
                  It isn't more durable tho, that's a misconception everyone seems to have. What helps a police car engine live longer is they have an external oil cooler, a big transmission cooler, and a semi-proper power steering cooler. That's it tho, the engine and transmission themselves are not any beefier than what you'd find in a civilian car. And all these add-ons one can nowadays buy new and better anyways, so there's little reason to chase after ancient stuff in questionable condition. You also get heads that are crap for performance, so there you go spending over $1k on new aftermarket heads, or upward of $500 for redone P-heads.

The other thing to consider is, as you said, those drivetrains tend to be rode hard and put away wet, and even if the mileage on the odometer is low unless it was a detective's car chances are there are a ton of run hours from just idling while out on patrol. That pretty much would mean a full rebuild, including engine block machining, which jacks the overall cost way up. On the other hand low-mileage Explorer engines can still be found, the savings if one doesn't have to touch the bottom end are huge. Take a look at this little gem I'm putting together, she's got around 50k on her and the cylinder walls were flawless, I mean they looked like the block just came from the machine shop! She also runs 55psi of oil pressure with the hand-held cordless drill spinning the oil pump on low speed. I'd say that's a pretty good foundation for a decent performance build
                  Attached Files
                  The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.

Comment

there is truly nothing remarkable about the optional 351 engine except how amazingly mediocre it is. And the AC bracket, thats useful if you want to put a 351 based engine in.

The trans and PS coolers are the same as the tow package, not all that large and you can do better with stuff robbed from a 1/2 ton pickup. The oil cooler is nice, but could also be found on the 302.
                    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Only thing decent on a p72 is the sway bars and frame. 351 is a boat anchor, same crap tier AOD, most still had open diffs with nothing special in the gear department. Suspension wise everything will be wasted by this point anyways so that's all irrelevant.
                      Would much rather have a cream puff SEFI civilian car.
                      Last edited by pantera77; 12-16-2017, 02:58 PM.
                      2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
                      2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
                      2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                      1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

I'm thinking Rodenkiller was thinking of it in GM terms, when IIRC the only way to get the LT1 in a Caprice was if it's a police-spec car. Ford didn't do that.

Comment

I did find a complete and relatively clean P72 car at Scottfest this year. The sway bars went to Ohio, the AC brackets are on my shelf.
                          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

That red thing? That was a fire chief's car IIRC, hence why it wasn't all beat to hell and back.

Comment

yeah, that one. Dunno, I was just happy to score a set of brackets. No clue if I will ever use them but I now have the option.

Comment

Yep, started in '99 right out of high school so different generation, but i learned from the old-school. Always worked for a small company until a few years ago. I'm the only person there that's ever leaded a joint. Really depressing. Anyhow, trips me out you got a '91 california car that's SD. Also looks a lot like both my '90s. Click image for larger version

Name:	20160829_164457.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	1282788

And yes, california is a total shithole that's only getting worse by the day. Finally got the wife to agree that this place blows and there's no future here. Now just need to decide where the right place is and get headed that direction. Still gonna take a few years though....ugh.

Comment

Working...
                                X