Mint '81 Mark VI Coupe (Finland)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mint '81 Mark VI Coupe (Finland)

Just a really pretty Mark VI, seems unmolested. 80k miles.
    https://www.nettiauto.com/en/lincoln...ental/13776739

Click image for larger version  Name:	9f8118194765cefb-large.jpg Views:	0 Size:	364.2 KB ID:	1390842
    1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, "Maisa"
    1995 Chevrolet Caprice Classic STW, "Sally"

Maaaaann..
    I adore that body style. .. and a 2 door sedan.. coupe..
    Yowza.
    All FORD All The Time

Comment

Asking price is just under $22K, if I have it figured correctly
      What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
      What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Comment

Damn, I'm in love. Surprised it doesn't have a 5.8.
        1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
        1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Very well optioned, but yeah... 302 CFI. Love the fact it has cloth seats.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
          Originally posted by gadget73
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
          Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
            Very well optioned, but yeah... 302 CFI. Love the fact it has cloth seats.
            No CFI, it's an '81, so it's got a carb of some sort and Duraspark.

Comment

I thought the CFI started in 80. Maybe that was a CV/MGM thing.

That's a little better. I'd still be curious if it's got the plastic cam gear on the timing set.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
              Originally posted by gadget73
              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
              Originally posted by dmccaig
              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Ford entered the fuel-injection era with a basic throttle-body system. This was first used on the 1980 Lincoln Continental 5-liter 302 and was referred to as Central Fuel-Injection or CFI. CFI first appeared in a Ford model in the 1981 LTD and they continued the use of CFI on four-cylinder engines until 1990.

Comment

Ah okay, I though CFI started after '83 like with other Panthers. But for sure that's not TFI.

Comment

That car is so nice I had to look at it again. God those factory radios were so shitty back then, just a shitty "Tone" control despite being labeled, "Premium." I see a volume slider, so what's with the knob? Take it Ford too "shitty" to the next level by making that switch for another amp for the back speakers or something? I wonder how well that thing runs, appears to still be rockin' it's factory EFI set-up. Might be sacrilege, but I'd SEFI swap it.

Comment

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
                      That car is so nice I had to look at it again. God those factory radios were so shitty back then, just a shitty "Tone" control despite being labeled, "Premium." I see a volume slider, so what's with the knob? Take it Ford too "shitty" to the next level by making that switch for another amp for the back speakers or something? I wonder how well that thing runs, appears to still be rockin' it's factory EFI set-up. Might be sacrilege, but I'd SEFI swap it.
                      My MGM's premium sound has separate treble and bass sliders, barely better than the "tone" slider in the Conti. People who would buy a new Lincoln in the 80's probably wouldn't give two shits about the lack of an equalizer. Atleast better than the factory radios from the 70's and earlier.

The knob is the tuner, duh! How else would the 70 yo grandma know how to change the channel if the tuner is suddenly something other than it has been since the turn of the century?

Comment

I don't know about that, you should see the radios Chrysler let a person order back in the day. Same features the turd in this Lincoln has, just no digital display or memory, yet were much more intuitive to use. Also, Hi-Fi was much bigger through the 60's and 80's than it is today, so if people were going to care, that's when I feel they'd be more likely to. Yet so many GM products from the late 80's through the 2000's had those generic five band EQ's. Nobody I knew had any idea as to what they did, most people just put them in a "V" configuration. I agree though, factory radios in the 60's and 70's stank when compared to factory stuff from the mid 80's and up. I'm absolutely impressed that Ford teamed up with JBL back then and gave customers the option to go with a preamp + amplifier and multiway speakers.

...If the knob is the tuner, what's with the Seek, Scan, UP and DN buttons?

Comment

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
                          ...If the knob is the tuner, what's with the Seek, Scan, UP and DN buttons?
                          Seek finds the strongest channel available, scan goes through the available channels one by one, they are things of the digital radio era. UP and DN is the antenna.

My '85 Premium sound head unit doesn't even have balance, it's got bass & treble sliders and a fader. "Premium", I guess it's got 6 speakers and an amp atleast. I've put in new speakers in the doors and intend to do the same to the rest, it sounds alright, except when it picks up beeping and whining from somewhere sometimes. Have to turn the treble way down since the old amp is wimpy and can't power the new speakers properly. Sounds better with more volume, which is a bit inconvenient.

Comment

Originally posted by Arquemann View Post

Seek finds the strongest channel available, scan goes through the available channels one by one, they are things of the digital radio era. UP and DN is the antenna.

My '85 Premium sound head unit doesn't even have balance, it's got bass & treble sliders and a fader. "Premium", I guess it's got 6 speakers and an amp atleast. I've put in new speakers in the doors and intend to do the same to the rest, it sounds alright, except when it picks up beeping and whining from somewhere sometimes. Have to turn the treble way down since the old amp is wimpy and can't power the new speakers properly. Sounds better with more volume, which is a bit inconvenient.
                            There needs to be a working sound filtering "cap" (noise suppressor) on the coil. That "should" reduce engine electrical noise in the sound system.
                            Last edited by friskyfrankie; 08-16-2023, 10:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by friskyfrankie View Post

There needs to be a working sound filtering "cap" on the coil. That "should" reduce engine electrical noise in the sound system.
                              I do have the original on there, the connection might be iffy. Do those things break? Dunno.

Comment

Working...
                              X