Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I've never seen or even heard of one of these. Pretty cool.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
    Was the same-year Mustang any better in that respect? I've read that prior to the '94 redesign, Mustangs got a big increase in build quality for '89 or so and I think a smaller one for about '86. Which of course was the year Ford decided to give midsize sedan buyers the finger ....

This reminds me, I need to get up to speed on David Clafin's LTD wagon thread at a certain site some people like to hate ..... he was making some sort of modification to the spare tire well, but I don't remember offhand if he was doing much else to the body.
    1. Concerning the Mustang? No. My '84 GT wasn't that great, either, especially packing a wimpy T5 and 7.5 rearend that I blew the spider gears out of. Only the 1983 GT that I owned before that one ate more rear ends.

2. 1985-up got a little stronger floor pan. But not much stronger, my black '85 GT was developing a few cracks around the seats when I got it.

3. My '89 GT also had cracks in it as well....but none of them were as hideous as my '82 GT, which allowed the seat to droop down about 2-3 inches. The only Stang I owned that didn't have cracks was the '79 460-powered Cobra, but it more than made up for that lack with B-pillar cracking (around the rear hatch, car didn't have subframe connectors with the 460).

4. The spare tire well on Fox Birds, Cougars, Mark 7 (if I recall correctly) and LTD/Fairmonts is offset to the passenger side, unlike the Mustang. That's why it's a pain in the arse to install Mustang exhaust on these cars.

Comment

Interesting about the offset. He wasn't relocating the well, though, he was sectioning it and making it either deeper or shallower. Possibly for a fuel cell? I should just recheck the thread and see.
      2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
        Interesting about the offset. He wasn't relocating the well, though, he was sectioning it and making it either deeper or shallower. Possibly for a fuel cell? I should just recheck the thread and see.
        Yeah, post a link to it. I'll never own another one, but I still don't mind looking occasionally.

Comment

It's a rather long and popular thread. Started out as an LTD LX project, but then he got a deal on a really nice wagon and went with that instead.

http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,1...topicseen.html

EDIT: Ah yes, he's sectioning the tire well one inch to fit a Rustang fuel tank.

Last edited by 1987cp; 06-01-2010, 05:52 PM.
          2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

ive got the ssp or cop version only difference is manual windows/locks and column shifter and not floor like the lx.......they made around 3,500 of the ltd lx from 83-85

mine is a factory 5.0 cfi with a column shift aod

Comment

my first car was 85 ltd 3.8 v6 4 brrl pass everything ept a gas station
              89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

Originally posted by zoomie View Post
                my first car was 85 ltd 3.8 v6 4 brrl pass everything ept a gas station
                for being as old as it is and having a v8 i get around 22 mpg using 89 octane

Comment

Working...
                X