1991 LTD Crown Victoria in Stillwater, OK with transmission issues - $500

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1991 LTD Crown Victoria in Stillwater, OK with transmission issues - $500

I've seen other cars with admitted transmission issues where the seller still wants nearly $2k or more. This might be a steal?

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	1303883 Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	1303884 Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	1303885
    —John

1985 Ford F-150 XLT Lariat
    1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (POTM March 2017 & May 2019 - gone, but not forgotten)
    1995 Mustang SVT Cobra coupe (cream puff)
    1966 Mustang coupe (restoration in-progress)

Lost 3rd but having 4th. That's a bit unusual.
    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
    1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

It would seem that more gears are bad in addition to third. Maybe it is OD and the seller thinks it is third.
      A person might be able to get it cheaper before the derby guys get it.

Comment

Hell for 500 i'd chance it and throw a new TV bushing on. Flush all the metal out of the trans and she might still go a while. Car looks straight otherwise.

Comment

I would stick another Tranny and go. Only $500.00 so grab it you are saveing a classic.

Comment

If nabbed for $500 and trans refurbed for ~1,200 you'd be breaking even. Looks to be neglected and in need of cosmetics among other things.
            1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
            1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

I'd snatch it up if I could convince my parents to let me store it at their house.
              —John

1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (POTM March 2017 & May 2019 - gone, but not forgotten)

Comment

One reason this seems like a steal to me: https://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/6144219436.html

For $250 more you can get a car that isn't even driveable!
                —John

Comment

Kinda makes me feel like a jerk for not snagging a clean '91 GMQ that was local here for $400. It was straight but had a broken window, needed a fuel pump and I think a tire or two. Hell for a grand it would've been a runner but I have a storage issue as well. My wrecked car sat in my mom's driveway for like 8 months before I got it out of there so I don't really want to start that all over this soon.

Comment

Originally posted by knucklehead0202 View Post
                    Kinda makes me feel like a jerk for not snagging a clean '91 GMQ that was local here for $400. It was straight but had a broken window, needed a fuel pump and I think a tire or two. Hell for a grand it would've been a runner but I have a storage issue as well. My wrecked car sat in my mom's driveway for like 8 months before I got it out of there so I don't really want to start that all over this soon.
                    You have a patient Mom. My Mom gave me 45 minutes to get a car she did not like out of the street in front of the house. No mercy. I can still hear her screaming at me. That was 45 years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Giraffe View Post
                      One reason this seems like a steal to me: https://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/6144219436.html

For $250 more you can get a car that isn't even driveable!
                      LoL well that guy is clearly riding with the magic dragon.. Asking prices are not equal to selling price and listings should not get one to hang from the edge of their seats. That's how people end up getting taken for a ride. Myself included, "Oh these are rare! I haven't seen one forever so so $________ seems like a great deal!" Wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
                        LoL well that guy is clearly riding with the magic dragon.. Asking prices are not equal to selling price and listings should not get one to hang from the edge of their seats. That's how people end up getting taken for a ride. Myself included, "Oh these are rare! I haven't seen one forever so so $________ seems like a great deal!" Wrong.
                        The problem is that these cars are genuinely starting to get rare (at least to be found in good condition for a good price), which is driving up the prices. Same thing has been happening to fox Mustangs for about the last decade. Drives the Mustang guys mad. Typical asking price for a near-stock, sub-100k mile fox in good, garage kept condition is $6,000 or more these days.
                        —John

Comment

Foxbody stangs are about as rare as pebbles on a beach IMO. I also think rare does not mean high price. My Fury could be considered "rare" but to me it's just your average family car that is still around. I think the problem is one guys wheels & deals his car for 10 grand so the next man sees this and thinks he can do the same, now the whole market is tainted by inflated price tags. Foxbody stangs... LoL 6k+ for 230hp......... Take this for example, trying to find dad a C4 corvette. IMO the only years to have a 1990-'91 or 1996. '91 being the best & last year for the conventional 350 and first year for revised styling. '90 netting you old body style if that's what you prefer. However, 1996 was last year for the LT1 and the c4 so in theory it's got the best engineering possible for the platform so that's what would get me to throw down 10g+ on one of those yet you've got assholes selling their shitty '84 for $14k or more... I could see someone who just wants a vette and has neglected to do their homework getting swindled...

Comment

Foxbodies themselves may still be ubiquitous, but try finding one in good shape, with no modifications (or tasteful, properly done mods), and a non-hacked/rednecked wiring harness. That's where things are getting rare. And it's why nice examples are really climbing in price.

Makes me wish I had more money and storage space so I could snatch up nice deals when they come along before the flippers get to them. There's a really nice 1991 CV on the Dallas craigslist right now that originally was for sale up in Denton by a guy who just wanted it gone. He ended up dropping the price to $500 with an ultimatum that he would donate it if it wasn't gone by the weekend. I couldn't come up with $500 cash in time, so some guy from Arlington snatched it up. Lo and behold, that same care then appeared on craigslist in Arlington with an asking price of $3200. Bastards.
                            —John

Comment

hehe... yeah... nobody will want my cars. SOOOO much wire hacking.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                              Originally posted by gadget73
                              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                              Originally posted by dmccaig
                              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
                              X