1993 Mercury Grand Marquis Air Bag Module

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1993 Mercury Grand Marquis Air Bag Module

As the title says, seeking a GOOD Air Bag Module for a 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis. The Part Number is F2AZ-14B056-A. Maybe Pete will see this?
    What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
    What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Is the module blue or white? WagonMan
    89 Colony Park
    90 Colony Park
    70 HEMI Daytona Convertible

Comment

Haven't had it out yet but if I remember the same one on my late Dad's car, it is Blue.

Comment

O.K., I'll look tomorrow.
        89 Colony Park
        90 Colony Park

Comment

Thanks Pete- I await your findings!

Comment

If there was a code for a circuit failure and that's not been fixed, the new to you one will get bricked in about 5-10 seconds by blowing the thermal fuse. I've replaced the thermal fuse in mine twice already and found out the issue is either with the airbag itself or the clock spring. Neither of which can be got any more.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
            Originally posted by gadget73
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
            Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
              If there was a code for a circuit failure and that's not been fixed, the new to you one will get bricked in about 5-10 seconds by blowing the thermal fuse. I've replaced the thermal fuse in mine twice already and found out the issue is either with the airbag itself or the clock spring. Neither of which can be got any more.
              It's got a Code 52. Usually, replacing the module fixes the issue but you are correct there could be a failure elsewhere. Are you talking about a fuse within the module or elsewhere?

Comment

All I can find in my stash of 92-97 parts are white modules. No Part#s on them. WagonMan
                89 Colony Park
                90 Colony Park

Comment

Originally posted by WagonMan View Post
                  All I can find in my stash of 92-97 parts are white modules. No Part#s on them. WagonMan
                  Thank you so much for taking the time to look. As I remember (need to pull it when I am feeling better), the module is blue with the corresponding part number previously given. I'll need to verify the part number but that is what the Ford parts sites say. Guess I'll keep looking but it doesn't look promising!

Comment

Mine has code 51. Needs a new fuse and whatever is blowing it up fixed... so it's never getting that and eventually the airbag light will burn out. I could theoretically rebuild that one again (replace the fuse).

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

Mine has code 51. Needs a new fuse and whatever is blowing it up fixed... so it's never getting that and eventually the airbag light will burn out. I could theoretically rebuild that one again (replace the fuse).
                      So my understanding is that the module has an internal fuse? Never opened one up so hence the question. Mine has a code of 52 which is usually just the caps being defective in the module. I have only installed one and that was the fix. I know I am working with a small sample but if I can find one at a reasonable price (there may be one in Canada but it is over $300!) I'd swap it and see what happens.

Comment

The fuse is a thermal fuse. It requires some careful soldering (clips to work as heatsinks on the component side of the board). It's a bit of a PITA. Much easier to replace the caps. It's all through-hole stuff, so that part is pretty easy.

Comment

The fuse is a thermal fuse. It requires some careful soldering (clips to work as heatsinks on the component side of the board). It's a bit of a PITA. Much easier to replace the caps. It's all through-hole stuff, so that part is pretty easy.
                          So if I am reading this correctly, the thermal fuse is in the module itself? I think that when my dad had the issue it was probably just the caps that went bad. Hard to tell as I just replaced the entire module and never opened it up. Finding one now is like finding "hen's teeth"!

Comment

Yes. Any short condition or too low resistance will heat up the power resistor that is clipped to the fuse and melt it to open the circuit. It's inside the little black and white box looking bit.

Comment

Can you post or link a pic to the part you need? I might have one somewhere in my stash

Comment

Working...
                              X