Wanted F150 4 door for family use

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wanted F150 4 door for family use

My stepson wants to ditch his 09 Taurus and 96 F150 2dr and buy a 4 door pickup so it can use the child seat.

It does not need to be pristine but decent, not an old beat up work truck. 4wd. Miles under 100K.

In addition to a FORD I know he would consider a...... Dodge or ...... Chevy.

I know he would really want a heavy duty diesel but I doubt he could afford another nice one since he now has a wife and baby.

Let me know if you have a decent truck for sale.

On the down side I guess I will lose the 96 F150 that has been my daily driver when he consolidates to one vehicle.

Jay
    03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
    02 SL500 Silver Arrow
    08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
    12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

May wanna look into an extended cab GMT900 truck, them are the ones with the suicide rear doors. Full-grown peeps can fit on the rear reasonably comfortable, rear doors can swing open all the way till they're against the bed so super-easy access to put kids in their seats. 09 and newer trucks have the 6-speed slushbox. Drive and handle like a car, haul and tow like a truck. Quite nice trucks, very reliable.
    The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
    The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

If you don't know yet, ford never made a 4 door F150 until 1997 only F250, and F350's. But there was a conversion company that made some in the older body style. They would take a single cab truck from the factory and extended the frame, and weld up the rest of a 4 door cab. I own one and it is the best truck ever. Check it out.

Comment

Originally posted by dd345 View Post
        If you don't know yet, ford never made a 4 door F150 until 1997 only F250, and F350's. But there was a conversion company that made some in the older body style. They would take a single cab truck from the factory and extended the frame, and weld up the rest of a 4 door cab. I own one and it is the best truck ever. Check it out.

http://www.fourdoorbronco.com/
        Eh, I was told today I should try to be nicer to people, so you get to fill my quota for the day:

- factory 4-doors F150s were actually available towards the end of OBS production, shortbed only.

- the OP is looking to replace a reasonably new family vehicle and an aging work truck with a hopefully even newer truck that can fulfill both roles at the same time. Much as you like what you have, it doesn't meet these criteria.
        The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.

Comment

See if he can hold out until gas prices go back to $4/gallon or higher. (probably can't wait wants it now-now-now) But he'd get a hell of a deal, last time it happened scrap was up, & people couldn't give trucks & suvs away, so they junked them. Boom - Bust, it's a vicious cycle that humans are too irrational to resist.
          Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

You are correct about the price cycle but he will need something rather sooner then the price spike in gas, at least I hope we enjoy these prices for the foreseeable future.
            03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
            02 SL500 Silver Arrow
            08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
            12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

I've seen some high mile 04-06 supercrew (short bed) F150s in the <$4000 range lately. Auto, RWD, 4.6L 2-valve or V6.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
              Originally posted by gadget73
              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
              Originally posted by dmccaig
              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

He is looking at some high mile stuff but I am talking to him to convince him to pony up a few more bucks and try and buy lower miles. Maybe $8K or so. 4WD around these hills. Looking at trucks online it looks like you can get something very nice for about $13-15K but that is a little too rich for him. Short bed is probably what he will wind up with as they seem to be much more popular in the crew configuration. A long bed would be great but that would be one long truck in the city.
                02 SL500 Silver Arrow

Comment

Longbed crew is 3/4-ton and larger territory. And like you said, a total PITA in driving environment like yours. Unless his occupation demands the need of a long bed, I'd say stick with the shortie and don't think twice. They tend to be cheaper too... Plus a short bed would be eaiser to pass as a non-comm in whichever tunnel there didn't like commercial vehicles.

Comment

Yup. How is the left coast these days?
                    02 SL500 Silver Arrow

Comment

Oh yeah, my brother's wife drives an '09 4-door F150 shortbed. V6 4.2, driveshaft exploded. 64k Known defect, all the driveshafts are like that from Ford from what I understand, at least that model/length. One of those factory defects they refuse to admit or pay for.
                      Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

Originally posted by His Royal Ghostliness View Post
                        - factory 4-doors F150s were actually available towards the end of OBS production, shortbed only.
                        Please show me this Because I have never seen one. My conversion is a 95 so only 96?

Originally posted by His Royal Ghostliness View Post
                        the OP is looking to replace a reasonably new family vehicle and an aging work truck with a hopefully even newer truck that can fulfill both roles at the same time. Much as you like what you have, it doesn't meet these criteria.
                        I just saw op's location, low millage ruse free trucks are not around for him, sorry for the bad information.

Comment

Yes the pickings are slim around here without a fat wallet.
                          02 SL500 Silver Arrow

Comment

Originally posted by dd345 View Post
                            Please show me this Because I have never seen one. My conversion is a 95 so only 96?
                            I'll be honest with you, I have no idea what you actually have? The website you linked to is for Centurion Broncos, which were factory 4-door F350s with the rear cab wall chopped off and the back half of a Bronco welded on. The idea was to have something like a Suburban/Yukon, but well before Ford offered the Excursion. Really, make a thread about your truck in the "Rides" section and discussion can take place there, don't wanna clutter up the OP's thread here.

Originally posted by jaywish View Post
                            Yup. How is the left coast these days?
                            Eh, the usual, slighlty bitchy but the boobiliciousness more than makes up for it Think one of these days I should just say damn it all and buy an expensive ring... LOL

Comment

Jay, if its not yet sold, what is the condition of the '96?

You can take this or leave it, but my personal take on truck shopping is not to buy a local truck. Pick up trucks in the rust belt (I'm just north of you in central CT) that are 10 years old are starting to rot. If you go south or west you end up with a rust free rig; that way you don't have to chase rust the entire time you own it, and every time you get under it to work on it you don't need to worry about rust in your eyes. I've bought two trucks and had them shipped here, and they are pristine. Meanwhile, my brother bought an '06 F-350 SCSB 4WD Lariat, 6.0, and has chased rust since about 6 months after buying it. The hell with that noise.

Honestly, if you buy out west, you may be able to find something older (cheaper), but in very good shape. Along with that comes lower property taxes, insurance, and maintenance that you can do yourself. Gas mileage? Unless you're getting into something 5 years old or newer, I don't think the 4 spd automatic trucks of 10 years ago got any better mileage than a 15 year old truck. Just something to consider. I paid $8000 for my '97 F-250 with 65K on it. I am going to do a tune up and some other stuff, but it is an incredibly clean example, and I would have to spend twice that+ to find a 3/4 ton as clean in this area. Primary reason being the truck would have to be 10 years newer because all the old ones rotted away years ago.
                              **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
                              **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
                              **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                              **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Working...
                              X