Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That guy had it on ebay to:

no bids ...
    funny that. I see the pics on the local CL ad and I think the seller slipped a digit on the asking price. I mean I've seen worse but I've also seen a $10k wagon and it was perfect. I mean like it just rolled off the dealers floor. This guy has 140k on it and it looks it. And then the smog cert issue ... the seller is from out of state and doesn't understand.

I bought an '85 Marquis (fox body) wagon about a year ago. Guy was asking $2200 and it had 70k on it and was pretty clean. I pulled up to see it and I see the temp reg on it "What's up with the temp reg"? "I can't get it smogged". I tell him I'll think about it. I call up the DMV and find out that since it's less than 90 days from when the reg was due I can transfer title and non-op it with out a smog cert. That's a good loop hole to know cause normally you need it smogged to transfer title. I call the guy back and offer $600 and get it for $800. Got it towed down to our farm in Gilroy and it's sitting in a barn til I have more time to deal with it.

88 Country Squire
    86 Colony Park, non-op'd
    89 Mark VII LSC, non-op'd

Comment

With a vacuum leak, 100% sure it will not pass smog. In addition to the other problems the car has.
      Ahh, Non ops. Know them well. They used to charge $10 for them. Good for 30 days I think. Only could get them twice, if I remember right. As long as you have a non op, you can't be hammered with registration fees. The problem is when the seller has not bothered to non op the car and the registration is expired. Now back registration, current registration, taxes, late fee, transfer fee,etc are now due. It really can get expensive. Then it is time to junk the car or register it out of state for a year to get a clean title and reg.
      There is also a Statement of facts which you say you messed up, won't do it again. DMV gives you mercy for one time. Forgives your sins and waives the penalties. I did that one time on a vehicle for some reason. That was many many years ago. Calif. and their "mercy" seams to be re-directed now.
      Gilroy, Isn't that the garlic capital of the nation ?
      Is your Marquis wagon a woody with the 3.8 v-6 or a non woody with a V-8 ?

Comment

Working...
      X