Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1997 Intake Manifold Replacement

Hello,
    I have a low mile 1997 Crown Victoria that retains its original plastic crossover intake manifold. I'm looking to do a little preventative maintenance and replace with one that has an aluminum crossover. RockAuto lists a few manufactures for replacement, ATP, SKP, Dorman etc. For the older cars I assume the Dorman is the best bet? Any info is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Honestly the Dorman one ain't super awesome, but given it's being installed on a nPI 4.6, it'll perform effectively the same. Worth mentioning you may want to add a little blob of RTV where the alignment dowel holes are for the factory gaskets since the aftermarket stuff has integrated gaskets designed to work on the nPI and later PI engines, and larger seals used can create vacuum leaks over those dowel holes.

If you look hard enough, you might be able to find a OE Ford nPI intake online, either for Mustang or Panther application, they'll both work. The kit used was part number F8AZ-9424-AAA​.

You will need to get your hands on the correct alternator bracket too, since the bracket is different between the plastic and aluminum crossover setups. Some of the aftermarket kits still include the bracket, some do not. The OE Ford kits usually included the appropriate bracket.

That said, you can also take the time to do the PI intake upgrade, since you can still get an OEM Ford PI intake. There's a few extra steps there, but you do get a better breathing intake, and I can expand further on that if you're interested.

My Cars:
    -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
    -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
    -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
    -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

This may help.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4ca7P0udl4
      What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
      What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Comment

Great info guys, thanks so much! Thank you Wolf for elaborating. Super useful! Thanks !

Comment

Originally posted by Kodachrome Wolf View Post
          Honestly the Dorman one ain't super awesome, but given it's being installed on a nPI 4.6, it'll perform effectively the same. Worth mentioning you may want to add a little blob of RTV where the alignment dowel holes are for the factory gaskets since the aftermarket stuff has integrated gaskets designed to work on the nPI and later PI engines, and larger seals used can create vacuum leaks over those dowel holes.

If you look hard enough, you might be able to find a OE Ford nPI intake online, either for Mustang or Panther application, they'll both work. The kit used was part number F8AZ-9424-AAA​.

You will need to get your hands on the correct alternator bracket too, since the bracket is different between the plastic and aluminum crossover setups. Some of the aftermarket kits still include the bracket, some do not. The OE Ford kits usually included the appropriate bracket.

That said, you can also take the time to do the PI intake upgrade, since you can still get an OEM Ford PI intake. There's a few extra steps there, but you do get a better breathing intake, and I can expand further on that if you're interested.
          wolf, can you enlighten me on your knowledge of switching to a PI intake? After reading about the Dorman intakes, and the lack new old stock Non-PI intakes, I think I’d like to do the PI upgrade.

Comment

Originally posted by Hill185 View Post

wolf, can you enlighten me on your knowledge of switching to a PI intake? After reading about the Dorman intakes, and the lack new old stock Non-PI intakes, I think I’d like to do the PI upgrade.
            Sure! There's a few things that have to be done to ready a nPI engine to swap to a PI intake, which luckily are not hard to deal with.

There's a few part number variants of the PI intake since it came out in 2001, but it all almost has to exclusively deal with the coolant crossover at the front. The most common PI intake you can find is for the 2006-2011 cars (P/N 9W7Z-9424-A​). Cost is usually just right, coming in usually around $250. The problem is the coolant crossover needs to be "modified" to work on an earlier car, since the 2006+ design has no coolant ports tapped, but the bosses are still present. You can drill out the bosses with a 37/64" drill bit and tap it with a 3/8" NPT tap. I recommend starting the holes with a smaller drill bit and stepping up from there.

For reference, this was a 2006+ intake where the ports were tapped for use on a 1999 Crown Victoria:

You might be able to find a slightly earlier revision where there will be at least one coolant sensor port tapped, but you'd still need to make another anyway since Aeros use two.

You'll also have to swap out the heater return pipe that runs under the intake. On an Aero you'll also need to take the fan and water pump off so you can swap the nipple the pipe connects to. You can drive the nipple out with a hammer and swap in the later style using a touch of RTV to help seal the deal (it is still press fit) and a socket on an extension to keep it centered. Then you can install the later PI heater return pipe. You will need to make a new home for the DPFE sensor since it bolts to the old heater return, but I found you could zip tie it securely to a main wire harness that runs directly behind the engine.

​Here's that sensor "relocated":

There's also the matter of the gaskets. You absolutely want to use the PI gaskets, but there's a few small caveats. First you have to cut off the tabs for the PI gasket locators. They're on the opposite side compared to a nPI gasket. Secondly is the water ports, but that can be quickly solved by appropriate application of RTV at the front of the passenger side head and rear of the driver side head. The locating holes for the old nPI gaskets realistically should be filled with a daub of RTV as well.

For reference:
            Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	518.6 KB ID:	1385725

Arguably it just makes sense to run a bead through that entire area that's marked as "needs attention", or if you'd rather, an application around the entirety of the affected coolant ports. I used Permatex RightStuff 90 Minute gasket maker, and that has held up well on the converted car so far.

You may also find it helpful to make alignment dowels from all thread to keep the gaskets from shifting while setting the intake, or using a helper with a steady hand.

Otherwise, the general part of the job of swapping the intake, is otherwise the same. Pretty much the extra steps are swapping the heater tube and nipple, setting the coolant crossover up for an Aero, and setting up your gaskets correctly.

This handy link from ADTR is a complete "How To" on the PI Intake Swap: https://adtr.net/kb/ford-4-6-non-pi-...manifold-swap/

Some of it covers stuff seen on a Whale (like the crash bracket you won't have to deal with), but covers the step by step procedure and provides a useful list of all the parts you'll need to complete your job. If you need an appropriate aluminum crossover alternator bracket (the one for the all plastic one won't work), let me know, since I think I have a spare one for a 3G application in my garage.
            Last edited by Kodachrome Wolf; 01-30-2023, 08:16 PM.

My Cars:
            -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
            -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

Sure! There's a few things that have to be done to ready a nPI engine to swap to a PI intake, which luckily are not hard to deal with.

There's a few part number variants of the PI intake since it came out in 2001, but it all almost has to exclusively deal with the coolant crossover at the front. The most common PI intake you can find is for the 2006-2011 cars (P/N 9W7Z-9424-A​). Cost is usually just right, coming in usually around $250. The problem is the coolant crossover needs to be "modified" to work on an earlier car, since the 2006+ design has no coolant ports tapped, but the bosses are still present. You can drill out the bosses with a 37/64" drill bit and tap it with a 3/8" NPT tap. I recommend starting the holes with a smaller drill bit and stepping up from there.

For reference, this was a 2006+ intake where the ports were tapped for use on a 1999 Crown Victoria:

You might be able to find a slightly earlier revision where there will be at least one coolant sensor port tapped, but you'd still need to make another anyway since Aeros use two.

You'll also have to swap out the heater return pipe that runs under the intake. On an Aero you'll also need to take the fan and water pump off so you can swap the nipple the pipe connects to. You can drive the nipple out with a hammer and swap in the later style using a touch of RTV to help seal the deal (it is still press fit) and a socket on an extension to keep it centered. Then you can install the later PI heater return pipe. You will need to make a new home for the DPFE sensor since it bolts to the old heater return, but I found you could zip tie it securely to a main wire harness that runs directly behind the engine.

​Here's that sensor "relocated":

There's also the matter of the gaskets. You absolutely want to use the PI gaskets, but there's a few small caveats. First you have to cut off the tabs for the PI gasket locators. They're on the opposite side compared to a nPI gasket. Secondly is the water ports, but that can be quickly solved by appropriate application of RTV at the front of the passenger side head and rear of the driver side head. The locating holes for the old nPI gaskets realistically should be filled with a daub of RTV as well.

For reference:
              Click image for larger version Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	518.6 KB ID:	1385725

Arguably it just makes sense to run a bead through that entire area that's marked as "needs attention", or if you'd rather, an application around the entirety of the affected coolant ports. I used Permatex RightStuff 90 Minute gasket maker, and that has held up well on the converted car so far.

You may also find it helpful to make alignment dowels from all thread to keep the gaskets from shifting while setting the intake, or using a helper with a steady hand.

Otherwise, the general part of the job of swapping the intake, is otherwise the same. Pretty much the extra steps are swapping the heater tube and nipple, setting the coolant crossover up for an Aero, and setting up your gaskets correctly.

This handy link from ADTR is a complete "How To" on the PI Intake Swap: https://adtr.net/kb/ford-4-6-non-pi-...manifold-swap/

Some of it covers stuff seen on a Whale (like the crash bracket you won't have to deal with), but covers the step by step procedure and provides a useful list of all the parts you'll need to complete your job. If you need an appropriate aluminum crossover alternator bracket (the one for the all plastic one won't work), let me know, since I think I have a spare one for a 3G application in my garage.

Fantastic, thank you for the the info Wolf! This sounds like the way to go.

Comment

Use a torque wrench on the coolant temp sensors so you don't crack the crossover. Yeah... I've made that mistake before.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                Originally posted by gadget73
                ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                Originally posted by dmccaig
                Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Hi wolf, I think I found an OEM non-pi intake, however the part number is F8AZ-9424-AA not F8AZ-9424-AAA

Would you happen to know if that would work on a 1997, that part number seems to be for ‘98-‘01, but I’d assume it would work on a ‘97? Thanks for all
                  your help!

Comment

Originally posted by Hill185 View Post

Hi wolf, I think I found an OEM non-pi intake, however the part number is F8AZ-9424-AA not F8AZ-9424-AAA

Would you happen to know if that would work on a 1997, that part number seems to be for ‘98-‘01, but I’d assume it would work on a ‘97? Thanks for all
                    your help!

The 'AAA' part was the complete kit a dealer or customer could get that included the alternator bracket and other things required to replace an intake on a car with the "as-fitted" all plastic intake manifold, since there were a few components that had to be updated with the aluminum coolant crossover.

As far as just the 'AA' prefix, I'm not sure, but if it's a 4.6 intake, it should likely be a non-PI intake since it's still using only a F8 date indicator. AFAIK, no 4.6 PI engine launched until 1999, and that was in Mustang, then Panthers in 2001.

Regardless, if it's a nPI intake with the aluminum crossover, you'll be good. The only thing that likely will be present that wouldn't be on a factory Aero all plastic unit would be the provisions for the COPs to bolt to. They affect nothing on an ignition wire car.
                    Last edited by Kodachrome Wolf; 06-12-2023, 05:41 PM.

My Cars:

Comment

The 'AAA' part was the complete kit a dealer or customer could get that included the alternator bracket and other things required to replace an intake on a car with the "as-fitted" all plastic intake manifold, since there were a few components that had to be updated with the aluminum coolant crossover.

As far as just the 'AA' prefix, I'm not sure, but if it's a 4.6 intake, it should likely be a non-PI intake since it's still using only a F8 date indicator. AFAIK, no 4.6 PI engine launched until 1999, and that was in Mustang, then Panthers in 2001.

Regardless, if it's a nPI intake with the aluminum crossover, you'll be good. The only thing that likely will be present that wouldn't be on a factory Aero all plastic unit would be the provisions for the COPs to bolt to. They affect nothing on an ignition wire car.
                      Awesome, I’m assuming it’s a non-pi intake as it’s listed to fit a 1998, again, thank you for your informative answers!

Comment

Working...
                      X