Oil catch can yes or no?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil catch can yes or no?

Oke i noticed that when on idle, she starts to produce blue smoke.

It is not always mostly when idling, that has to be blow by, is it a good idea te add a oil catch can yes or no.

Why not, some say yes and some no, what are the benefits?

One could always install it but it is always best to find and correct the original problem or at least, find a way to mitigate it.
    What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
    What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Comment

Change your PCV valve / make sure it works properly.
      Burning oil is most likely caused by worn valve stem seals or worn piston rings. There would have to be an insane amount of blow by to see blue smoke.
      If it's really blow by causing the oil burning, a catch can will help some.
      1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, "Maisa"
      1995 Chevrolet Caprice Classic STW, "Sally"

Comment

Probably not that bad on blow-by. More likely worn valve seals.

+1 PCV valve may be crap. It should block flow one direction (maybe not completely) and pretty much pass everything the other direction.
        Definitely make sure PCV system is working right. Then if the smoke doesn't clear up, consider other options.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

What year? If its before 1995, its the valve seals. A catch can won't do anything for that problem.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I've seen good luck with this product and other they make. I'd do an oil, filter change and give it a shot!

https://www.jbtools.com/bars-leaks-o...xoCT_4QAvD_BwE
            What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
            What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Comment

If the valve seals are shot/weak, my usual go to is just using High Mile 10W-40 oil for a bandaid fix.

Friend drives a ‘99 that’ll smoke on take off, or at least used to, when we ran 5W-20 or 5W-30 in it. Consumption was up as well, about a quart every 1500 miles. Been treated to the 10W-40 for the last 50K miles over two years and it’s doing okay. Keeps consumption to about a quart every 5000 miles.

My Cars:
              -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
              -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
              -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
              -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

Working...
              X