Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Starting Trouble (kinda long but PLEASE read!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

its the solenoid...! i pee pee'd

Comment

Originally posted by danbraniff View Post
      Hey Chuck Norris,

Just a thought have you tried round house kicking it :P
      When in doubt, hammer out!

Comment

92.5+ all have the integrated solenoid

Terminal corrosion of the solenoid turn-on lead is common. Pull it off, clean, and reinstall with LOTS of dielectric grease

Also check battery connections + grounds. If it worked suddenly with the jump it could be as simple as a loose battery terminal clamp.....
        -My Homepage, Panther info & FAQs-
        My Mint 96' Mercury Grand Marquis LSE -
        Modifications
        Click My Merc for more Pics!

Comment

Well, interesting thing. I posted this weeks ago, and have had the problem a few times since (haven't fixed anything though.) Well, I decided next time I had the problem I'd try wiggling the key to see if maybe it is ignition related. So every time since I got stuck and made this post, I have wiggled the kay and tried the ignition again. It has worked every time! So, tumbler assembly? Ignition switch? It seems to kind of rule out the starter assembly selinoid, doesn't it?
          Back in the saddle again!

2004 Crown Victoria Police Interceptor in Unimaginative Bureaucratic Brown
          Bone stock... for now.

Comment

Werd! Yes, this would seem to point to a minor electrical problem in the vicinity of the ignition switch itself. Perhaps either something's loose inside, or there could even be loose or corroded wiring going to the integrated start switch (my older one has a single wire going off the outer part of the switch assembly near the keyhole, that's intended to go to the primary side of the start circuit). I don't know much, but based on this new information, I'd guess a $15 ignition switch just might be all that's needed to solve your problems! Maybe it'd be possible to temporarily jury-rig a pushbutton or something as a redundant measure to double-check that that's really what it is? Just my
            2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
              Werd! Yes, this would seem to point to a minor electrical problem in the vicinity of the ignition switch itself. Perhaps either something's loose inside, or there could even be loose or corroded wiring going to the integrated start switch (my older one has a single wire going off the outer part of the switch assembly near the keyhole, that's intended to go to the primary side of the start circuit). I don't know much, but based on this new information, I'd guess a $15 ignition switch just might be all that's needed to solve your problems! Maybe it'd be possible to temporarily jury-rig a pushbutton or something as a redundant measure to double-check that that's really what it is? Just my
              Pushbutton start... sweeeeet!

Bone stock... for now.

Comment

Hehehe... yeah, pushbutton start does work ... of course, I only have it on the '87 because I fried the factory start switch, and I do plan to swap it back at some point because it's a bit of a pain and a little counterintuitive to operate with the factory switch still in place.

Funny thing about starting systems, my '79 (so far as I know) still had its original starter motor when I bought the thing, and since it showed no sign of causing me any trouble, I reinstalled it when I put in the newer engine, transmission, etc. Well, today my wife and I went out to go to the grocery store just before leaving to visit my dad for Father's Day and decided to pop into Home Depot for a minute beforehand ..... and guess what? That silly 28-year-old starter motor decided to call it quits right there in the parking lot and refused to start the car when we came out to tootle over to the grocery store! Not a humongous deal, of course, since the problem was solved with about 45 minutes of my time and a $38 expenditure at the parts store (wouldn't you know, I didn't bother to bring along my spare starter last time I was down at my mom's house) ..... but what an inconvenient place/time for that to happen! :p

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
                  ..... but what an inconvenient place/time for that to happen! :p
                  Aren't cars great!?!

Bone stock... for now.

Comment

Absolutely! I like cars, but I still really, really wish we could get a little less dependent on the silly contraptions.

Comment

at that point, just have a switch panel that controls battery to the ignition (and pcm in this case) another switch controlling power to fuel, then a pushbutton and just get rid of teh factory setup!

muahahhahahahaa

course, probably wouldnt work that good on a non carbed engine
                      GMNRadio DJ, Podcast Co-Host
                      1984 Ford LTD Crown Victoria - Drag Car.
                      99 Ranger 2.5 - Parts hauler and Pit truck.
                      03 Mustang 3.8 Convertable - Head Gaskets fukered up
                      95 S10 93 Accord

Comment

I'd thought about that, but there's still the column lock/gear selector lock and such. In such a case, would the column lock just be eliminated?

Comment

you can remove it (or break it) it's just a small rod attached to a solenoid
                          GMNRadio DJ, Podcast Co-Host
                          1984 Ford LTD Crown Victoria - Drag Car.
                          99 Ranger 2.5 - Parts hauler and Pit truck.
                          03 Mustang 3.8 Convertable - Head Gaskets fukered up
                          95 S10 93 Accord

Comment

Working...
                          X