Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Proper Octane for a '93 Grand Marquis

Hi, new here.

My father recently gave me his '93 grand marquis.

He no longer had the owners manual, so I have no refence.

We have been using normal octane, but have noticed a bit of pinging.
    Need to find out if we've been giving her the wrong fuel, or if we need to have the compresion/timing checked.

Does anyone know the octane, or have an owners manual for a '93 they can check?

Kind Regards,
    Dain

Should be just regular 87. You might want to check your pulgs and wires just to see if they are ok and go from there
    R.I.P Linsey Nelson

'04 M75-"Chocolate Rain" - mid 13 beast
    Originally posted by MeanVic84
    Chocolate Rain. Some stay dry and others feel the pain.

Comment

87 octane.

Your EGR channels are probably plugged up:
      This is a must-see site for fans of American luxury hot rods. Message forums, tech advice, news, and automotive performance links are offered for Lincoln Mark VIII and Mark VII, Lincoln LS, Town Car, Continental, Navigator, Aviator, Zephyr, MKR, MKS, MKZ and more.

May want to run some seafoam through it. How many miles? New plugs would be a good idea if old - go with double platinum to extend service life.

You could also run a higher octane to prevent the pinging, but it's only a 'band-aid'
      -My Homepage, Panther info & FAQs-
      My Mint 96' Mercury Grand Marquis LSE -
      Modifications
      Click My Merc for more Pics!

Comment

What they said. The usual rule of thumb I'm told is that the only reason to run anything other than 87 is to eliminate detonation/preignition if the overall tune is otherwise as desired. The obvious thing I'd check for if experiencing spark knock is overadvanced ignition timing, but that would seem improbable with a distributorless ignition system unless someone's reprogrammed the spark advance curve. Of course, in that event, the same someone could theoretically have dialed in a leaner fuel map..... I guess this is part of why I switched to a carburetor.

Another possibility (and one that's far easier to remedy) is spark plugs of the wrong heat range. A plug that is too "hot" can contribute to a preignition problem, whereas one that's too "cold" can lead to poor performance and carbon buildup. Rumor has it that even the factory-recommended heat range might not always be spot-on, depending on your driving habits and possibly the engine's overall condition. Cheap parts-store Haynes manuals always have little guides to reading your spark plugs, so it can't hurt to pull one and see what you can make of it. Which reminds me, I need to have a look at my own sparkers one of these days and see how happy they are.

By the way, to GMN!
        2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

There is an octane pin that can be pulled which will reduce the timing a bit.
          Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

the proper octane is:

CH3NO2

fuck yea

because gasoline is for cleaning parts
            alcohol is for drinking
            NITRO IS FOR RACING!
            GMNRadio DJ, Podcast Co-Host
            1984 Ford LTD Crown Victoria - Drag Car.
            99 Ranger 2.5 - Parts hauler and Pit truck.
            03 Mustang 3.8 Convertable - Head Gaskets fukered up
            95 S10 93 Accord

Comment

Working...
            X