dies with a/c on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

dies with a/c on

my 92 dies if i turn the a/c on normal and rev it and dies instantly if i turn it on max i just drove it for the first time of owning it in two weeks and it seems to drive fine pick up is good feels like it could be faster tho but im not really sure what its supposed to feel like
    1999 Ford Explorer
    1992 Mercury Grand Marquis

unplug the ac if it only dies when the ac is plugged in chances are the ac clutch is shot
    89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

Does it die only while at an idle? Or can you kill it anytime while driving simply by turning the A/C on?

Jay
      These are highly engineered precision vehicles, the first step in diagnosing the problem is to strike the suspected offending part sharply and repeatedly with a blunt object, then re-test.

Comment

Originally posted by zoomie View Post
        unplug the ac if it only dies when the ac is plugged in chances are the ac clutch is shot
        Does the A/C clutch suck too much power when it's failing?
        2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

no... usually it won't engage well when it's failing... but if the compressor is trying to seize up, that would cause a big load. if the oxygen sensors are shot then the engine may not be running good enough to do much of anything either.

Definitely disconnect the power to the AC clutch and try switching things. If you have the same problems, it's not the AC.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

if i run it slowly like put it to normal a/c wait a sec then max a/c it seems to be fine and im able to rev it without dieing
            1999 Ford Explorer
            1992 Mercury Grand Marquis

Comment

that sounds more like an electrical load issue from the blower (weak alternator at low rpm) etc. Can't say for sure though. Might be a good idea to check electrical connections (especially to the ac/heater blower and ignition/charge systems). May also be getting weak spark (check plugs, wires, coils...).

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

bad IAC would be my guess. If its not opening the throttle up some at idle speeds, the extra load from the AC will stall the engine.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I'd replace it. or unplug it. It may fail and stop the engine from running. And that's bad.
                  (Especially if you're in the middle of a 3100 mile road trip and it fails 30 miles west of Omaha,NE)

-ryan s.
                  08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
                  03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
                  97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
                  94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
                  73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
                  12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
                  Originally posted by pantera77
                  Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

check iac. that would be my guess
                    1996 Mercury Grand Marquis - duals, PI cams, PI intake, J-Mod, MZT, BOC tune, 3.55s, 18in wheels
                    1965 Ford Falcon Ranchero - 5.0 HO T5 Fun Cruiser
                    http://www.supermotors.net/users/tmm313

Comment

lol... 30 miles west of Omaha... coicidence you used that location ???
                      Addicted to 86-87 Panthers

Comment

Working...
                      X