No announcement yet.

odd noise under hood???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Congratulations, you have avoided being screwed! lol. Glad you are getting it all figured out. Although did you ever fix the original issue you made this thread for?

Comment

well i unplugged the maf and plugged it back in the car has not made the sound agian. so im not sure what it was or is?? it has not made the sound in almost 2 weeks. but now its making a odd sound from under the right valve/cam cover twords the front so my friend at auto zone thinks its the timing chain??? it sounds like grinding coming from the right front side of the motor.

Comment

Could be bad timing chain tensioner. I think 2000 had the bad ones if I am not mistaken.

Comment

check the idler/tensioner pulleys first. take the belt off and roll them. If one feels like it has gravel for bearings and won't roll smoothly, that's your noise maker. My 93 vic did that.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

3 shops told me today its the timing chain knocking on the cam cover the sound is getting much louder and the car is starting to back fire and run real rough, i was told the timing chain has slipped and threw off the timing, the cheapest quote i got was 1375.50 the bank is willing to give me a side loan to fix the car or they will help me into a new car. im hoping to get this one fixed.....

Comment

wow. I find it hard to believe that a 2000 would have worse timing chain issues than my romped on 93. Especially since mine has way more miles.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

i might add the car has been driven extremly hard at times. i have a hard time not messing with little racer honda boys. also i have put almost 10,000 miles on the car in less than 3 months, i travel 140miles on way to work 6 days a week plus in town driving and trips across the state.

Comment

$1375.50 They are smoking some serious stuff!

My advice to you would be, find a friendly GMN member that knows what he is doing to help you fix it yourself. Throw him a couple hundred if he wants it and then you can learn something new and fix your problem cheap. I would never pay that much for a timing chain R/R.

Originally posted by slymer View Post
                  wow. I find it hard to believe that a 2000 would have worse timing chain issues than my romped on 93. Especially since mine has way more miles.
                  I believe it's because the 2000 models were plagued with the bad tensioners. I remember there were a few years that were prone to this problem. That is why it is more likely for him to have the problem as opposed to your 93. I will have to research the years effected but I am pretty sure it included the 2000 models.
                  Last edited by Guest; 12-03-2010, 12:04 AM.

Comment

now that you mention it... I do remember some noise about that.

Comment

most of that bill would be labor just taking things apart and putting them back together. The only real bugger part would be aligning the cams with the new parts.

Comment

Thanks guys, i am sad to report that the gm took its last ride today...... on the short drive to the shop today it did not seem the car was acting funny because it was already sputtering and backfiring due to the timing almost into the shop parking lot the car lost all power and started to smoke like crazy, upon getting out of the car i noticed extremly large amounts of oil trailing back onto the street when i looked under the car it was pouring out like a waterfall this is a total loss for me, i talked to my bank and was able to get the remainder of my loan tacked onto another loan for a new car. as of today i am the not so proud owner of a 1996 ford contour ls, its no gm but it has some decent mods done already and is a pretty quick car for a 4 banger. maybe i can save a little more cash up and get the 03 cvpi thats parked a block from my house, the guy wants 3250 for it but i am sure its negotiable as it has been sitting there for quite some time with not alot of intrest. This is a very sad day for me. maybe with the money i save on gas with this contour i can save up for the cvpi, haha. Thanks for all your help and support guys, i hope to remain a member here and learn more from you guys.

R.I.P 00 gm

Comment

Sorry to hear that mang. You'll get another one someday.

-ryan s.
                          08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
                          03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
                          97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
                          94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
                          73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
                          12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
                          Originally posted by pantera77
                          Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

Originally posted by slymer View Post
                            a tensioner on my mustang let go, tick tick tick tick. shes still waiting to be fixed..pulling the front cover FTL.
                            1988 MGM GS - Preferred Equipment Package 172A; InstaClear

1980 Lincoln Continental Coupe
                            1994 MGM GS Montigua
                            2005 F150 Lariat Scab 4x4 3.73 LS
                            2002 Mustang GT Coupe

Comment

Working...
                            X