Main Bearing Bolts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Main Bearing Bolts

I have somewhat of a noobish question on replacing the main bearing bolts.

I went online looking at the ford parts site and when I search for main bearing bolts, 3 different ones come up.

These say side bolts so I assume these are the bolts that connect outside the engine block on either side of the main bearing cap.

these say cap stud so Im assuming that this is the one bolt with the stud coming out of it that connects to the spacer which connects to the oil pump pickup

These I assume are the main bearing cap bolts. they are sold in sets of 4.

Is everything I said correct?

Now i need 9 of the main bearing cap bolts and one of the studded ones is there a reason the ones I assume to be the main bearing cap bolts are sold in sets of 4 when only 9 are needed?

I believe there are 6 bolts per cap, four in the cap and a pair of jackscrews on each side. I think there are two long and two shorts per cap as well, which is likely why you get 3 listings.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
      I believe there are 6 bolts per cap, four in the cap and a pair of jackscrews on each side. I think there are two long and two shorts per cap as well, which is likely why you get 3 listings.
      Ya i know. each cap has 2 jack screws 2 side screws and 2 main bolts (on one of the caps one of the main bolts has a stud.) I just need the main bolts and the 1 main bolt with a stud, just want to make sure that the bolts that come in a set of 4 are the main bolts.

Comment

Also another question. Will the crown vic gasket set of the same year fit my 94 mercury grand marquis?
        Last edited by crimsonangel; 12-15-2010, 06:07 PM.

Comment

the engines should be identical for same year between the vic and gm.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
          Originally posted by gadget73
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
          Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
          X