01 Town Car doesn't start for a while after running

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

01 Town Car doesn't start for a while after running

My 01 towncar starts every morning, but when I stop and try to start it within 0-10 minutes of being off it cranks but doesn't start. After waiting 10 mins. the car starts and will run until I turn it off. It doesn't seem to matter if it runs for 2 minutes or 2 hours, It won't start back up for that 10 minutes.

When it's running, the idle is fine and there's no loss of power at full throttle...It drives as it always has.

I tried to boost it which failed, then I checked and found that there's fuel pressure at the schrader valve on the fuel rail, and there's spark (I checked on a couple of the plugs). I cleaned the CKP sensor connector as suggested on another thread but it still has the problem. I also swapped the relays around which didn't change anything.

Any suggestions?

Maybe hook up an obd-2 code reader to it. See what kind of codes come up. You can borrow one from autozone for a 180 dollar deposit. If you bring cash then they'll hand you back cash. Just test it in the parking lot. The plug for obd 2 is under the dash on the drivers side.

Comment

so the engine turns over fine but, wont fire correct? has the check engine light come on? i wonder if something electrical is getting hot. where in ontario are you from?

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
      1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
      1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
      2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
      2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

Originally posted by ford man View Post
        Maybe hook up an obd-2 code reader to it. See what kind of codes come up. You can borrow one from autozone for a 180 dollar deposit. If you bring cash then they'll hand you back cash. Just test it in the parking lot. The plug for obd 2 is under the dash on the drivers side.
        I guess I should have mentioned that I hooked up a (super cheap, super basic) code reader to it and there were no DTCs. I also unhooked the battery to clear the computer and it didn't fix anything.

Originally posted by marquisman View Post
        so the engine turns over fine but, wont fire correct? has the check engine light come on? i wonder if something electrical is getting hot. where in ontario are you from?
        That's correct, after I turn it off, it turns over but doesn't start; The light has not come on. I suppose it makes sense that something could be overheating enough to not work, but not quite enough to break. It would have to be something that still lets it spark/get fuel pressure

Oh, and I live in the Kitchener area.

Comment

Working...
        X