94 GM, cough, cough-help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

94 GM, cough, cough-help!

I'm working on a 94 GM, the car has been sitting for at least 8 months, maybe longer.

When it's first started, engine cold, step on the gas......the thing hesitates some and many times has a backfire, before it takes off.

All this goes away after it warms up a bit.

Where should I look first? EGR? TPS? injectors? something else?

Anybody else gone through this?

Thanks for your help!

Old gas certainly won't help. Also, the EGR passages are likely clogged.
    '79 Continental Town Car
    '90 Crown Victoria LTD
    '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

Good idea! I'll look into the EGR passages today!

The EGR on that thing does look hard to get to, figures.

Any other suggestions? all are welcome so don't be shy!

Comment

definitely replace fluids. the oil may have separated and not be doing good. maybe drop some octane booster in the fuel tank if you don't just drain it and fill it with some new gas (preferred). once you put in new gas... you might add some injector/fuel system cleaner for good measure. Verify that all spark wires are secure. you might even want to pull them off (little twist and then pull usually works for me) and verify that all the connectors are good and the ends aren't broken out of the wires (ie: stays on the spark plug). Check the air filter too. If it's dirty as hell, it won't run well either.

and you'll probably want to replace the fuel filter too.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
        X