Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Found a '99 vic for sale...anything I should look out for?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Found a '99 vic for sale...anything I should look out for?

I grew up with a box.... and then yesterday I ran across a 1999 crown vic. 73,000 miles, $4500. The price aligns well with KBB. I haven't contacted the owner yet.... I wanted to see if there were any common problems I should look out for or ask about that are common with this model year. It's will run on CNG... I'm assuming it's Bi-fuel, otherwise I don't want it. But if it is, and it doesn't have any major problems, I think it might be a good buy. Seems like the old 4.6 had some valve seal problems early on but were fixed in the mid 90s models. Perhaps there are other things I should look out for.

Any suggestions are appreciated!

Thanks,

Nic

CNG sounds like a former cab. Look for any signs that the 73,000 isn't legit.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
    160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
    waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

bi-fuel? you mean propane converted or flex fuel? flex fuel panthers just came out in the last few years, so i doubt it.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
      1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
      1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
      2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
      2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

dual tank... some CNG/propane vehicles actually have a switch to go from gas to CNG/propane. I typically see these as city vehicles. never seen a cab using CNG. Public service vehicles etc as CNG. most are CNG only though. definitely worth questioning. Most CNG vehicles keep the tanks in the trunk though, so you'll loose a massive amount of cargo space with the natural gas tanks.

check the intake manifold for cracks. it's probably plastic. I may have the aluminum cross-over for the coolant passages. If so, it's good. All plastic... beware.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

natural gas? never seen it in a car. only remember seeing it used on city buses.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
          1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
          1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
          2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
          2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

Cng panthers

Hey all,

Ford produced 300-500 cng(compressed natural gas) cars from the factory for about ten years. 2004 I believe was the last year. If it is a factory unit it only runs on cng. All fuel componets and engines are unique to cng.
            sigpic
            79 Bronco XLT 129000kms
            88 LTD Crown Victoria wagon LX 223000kms
            03 Expedition XLT 256000kms
            06 Escape XLT 188000kms
            09 Focus SE 132000kms
            13Escape SEL 63000kms

Comment

I'm assuming it was a fleet vehicle. I have some really good friends who have owned 4 different CNG vehicles (so far). They've had two 2000 Contours, a Cavalier, and an F150 7700 Series. All 4 were fleet vehicles and all 4 run on gasoline & natural gas (this is what I mean by Bi-Fuel... I don't knwo what the marketing term is... but I just mean two possible fuel types). I guess I could crawl under and look for a gasoline tank (or just contact the owner), the NG tank is in the trunk on these, or the front of the bed on the trucks. On these 4 my friends owned, they all were factory installations of the CNG system and has the same engine for the most part. Same displacement, etc. Obviously some fuel system components would be different and possibly ignition, but I doubt they would have a completely different casting for blocks, heads, etc for something they produced so few of.

The MAIN thing I was hoping for was any general info about 1999 vics and if there's anything specific I should look out for... nto so much looking for info on the CNG aspects.

Comment

Originally posted by slymer View Post
                dual tank... some CNG/propane vehicles actually have a switch to go from gas to CNG/propane. I typically see these as city vehicles. never seen a cab using CNG. Public service vehicles etc as CNG. most are CNG only though. definitely worth questioning. Most CNG vehicles keep the tanks in the trunk though, so you'll loose a massive amount of cargo space with the natural gas tanks.

check the intake manifold for cracks. it's probably plastic. I may have the aluminum cross-over for the coolant passages. If so, it's good. All plastic... beware.
                Thanks... I've never owned one but I had heard about plastic intakes... and since forgotten that they used those. If it does have aluminum crossover coolant passages, are they easily visible? What color is the plastic?

I'll be sure to check.

Comment

My Dad had a natural gas '98. It ran ONLY on natural gas.

Had 4 huge tanks in the trunk/ on the pckage tray.

Those cars had lower power output, and probably weighed more than a gasoline car.
                  **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
                  **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
                  **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                  **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Yeah I did a little more research last night.... apparently all of the CNG Crown Vics were CNG only. 1000 points to Alon and P72Ford (you can divide the points up amongst yourselves).

Comment

Manifold is black plastic. The metal part used on replacement manifolds runs between the heads behind the alternator, can't miss it.

The car looks nice.

Pete
                      For other types of inquiry, more information is required. Please press 4 to speak to a representative who can help you with your question. This call may be monitored for quality assurance purposes.

2003 Grand Marquis Ultimate, the "Stealth Bomber": http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...-Grand-Marquis
                      1991 S-10, 'Bulldog', 2.5l 5 speed: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...375#post698375
                      1985 Town Car, 'Faded Glory', gone but not forgotten. 84/87/91/97 MGMs too.

Comment

GNG Fleet CVs

The local sheriffs department had dual fuel PIs. They could switch to gasoline for pursuits, according to the local newspapers.
                        Until the green/prius movement (no Escape hybrids) the airport required the only cab company that picked up at the airport to run CNG cabs. The airport maintained a CNG fueling station. I know a cab owner that was pressured to get rid of his minivan taxi to get a CNG CV taxi. He was able to get used CV taxi which had originated with a Phoenix AZ airport taxi operator. I did get a chance to ride in it once. I had to go from the airport to the Ford dealer to pick up my blue CV that had died (failed TFI Module) on the way to the airport. With the high number of miles and the CNG power the cab was kind of a dog climbing up the Eastgate hill on I-90. His cab ended up being totaled in a wreck. He then got a prius.

I was in San Francisco once on a service call. I got a CV cab to the airport (SFO). I had a large suitcase and a large tool/parts case. They did not fit in the trunk because of the 2 large tanks in the trunk. One case went in the front seat and the other case went in the back with me.

Comment

The 99's had bad timing chain tensioners.

-ryan s.
                          08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
                          03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
                          97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
                          94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
                          73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
                          12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
                          Originally posted by pantera77
                          Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

apparently the factory CNG cars were CNG only... but this car looks to be dual fuel setup. It looks like it may have had a CNG kit fitted to it since it has the dual fuel info in the description.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
                            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
                            X