New misfire at 1/2 + throttle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New misfire at 1/2 + throttle

As the title says I have a new misfire. My 1998 MGM with COP ignition has developed a misfire at higher rpms. This started suddenly on my drive home from work. It happens in every gear at the same point in the rpms and the car basically sounds like its running on 6 cylinders, I have no muffler on right now so it is easily heard when it starts accompanied by a sudden decrease in power output. Any ideas?

sounds like one of the coils is dying. I would expect that a code scan should tell you which cylinder the misfire is on. Pull the coil out and make sure the hole isn't full of water or oil. if its good, try moving the coil somewhere else and see if the problem moves along with it.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

ll have to try that at work tomorrow itll be slow

Comment

So, no trouble codes other than my o2 heater circuit b2s2. And I have also figured out it will momentarily misfire under hard throttle from a stop.

Comment

Hi Wannabep71

Can you access "Mode $06" on your scanner? You might need to go into Generic OBD, Global tests, On board diagnostics or some such to access Mode $06. If you can access mode $06 go to test $53 and it will tell you which cylinders are mis-firing even if there are no codes. A little toilet reading

Regards

Dereck
          President and founder of The Turbine Wheel Appreciation Society and Little Debbie Cake Connoissuer

Also "The Pondside Pain In Your Posterior"

Comment

Well, my fuel pressure is at 20 with ignition off and 30 at idle, and it steadily drops with rpms rising until it starts missing

Comment

there's yer problem... maybe need a fuel filter change... check the fuel line for dents/kinks/leaks.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
              Originally posted by gadget73
              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
              Originally posted by dmccaig
              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Checked lines all looked well, changed my fuel filter for a six, now pressure reads 17psi key on engine off and 29psi at idle and drops steady with rpms

Comment

Any idea of degree of difficulty in swapping these pumps, do I need to drop the tank

Comment

I think the pump comes out the front on those. Look above the diff at the plate on the tank. If that one has fuel lines, then you should be able to get the pump out without removing the tank.
                    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Good deal, I've seen said plate before

Comment

Well barely made it home from work, could hardly reach forty mph. Tomorrow the MGM is off to the shop for a new intake manifold and fuel pump

Comment

Working...
                        X