Lean Codes!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lean Codes!

I noticed my Service engine soon light came on today and when I got home I hooked up my code reader. It gave codes:

P1131- lack of HO2S11 switched - sensor indicates lean

P1151- same description

P0136-o2 circuit bank 1 sensor 2

P0156-o2 circuit bank 2 sensor 1

From what I understand from the descriptions it sounds like I either need 2 o2 sensors replaced, or I have a vac leak somewhere. Possibly the intake. I still have the plastic one anyway.

My freeze frame data shows that I have 4.7% on the two working o2 sensors and for the two that gave codes it just says 0% not real sure what this means.

The car runs fine, has a slightly rough idle before the temp gauge gets to the quarter mark but nothing too bad. Otherwise it runs fine.

So before I waste money on o2 sensors what do you guys think? I think since my freeze frame isn't getting a reading from two of them, and since I get codes for 2 of them that its safe to say I should replace them. The wiring to all of them looks fine, but all 4 look to be original.

I've looked over all vac lines and they look fine. Also sprayed around the intake with carb cleaner and no change in rpm but its hard to get the whole perimeter.

Input is appreciated! Thanks!
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - Currently restoring after she caught fire! CFI to SEFI to Carb swap, all custom wiring, Duraspark 2 ignition, Motorcraft 2100 Carb, slicktop, Shorty headers dumped before rear axle, 140 Speedo, 3G alt, And currently building an engine for her.

2000 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series - 165XXX, PI intake swap , 30 MPG Easy on the Highway, All options except dual exhaust. Currently looking for 2 front seats: Heated, Memory, and Light Graphite color!!

I'll add that this is on my 2000 TC
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - Currently restoring after she caught fire! CFI to SEFI to Carb swap, all custom wiring, Duraspark 2 ignition, Motorcraft 2100 Carb, slicktop, Shorty headers dumped before rear axle, 140 Speedo, 3G alt, And currently building an engine for her.

2000 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series - 165XXX, PI intake swap , 30 MPG Easy on the Highway, All options except dual exhaust. Currently looking for 2 front seats: Heated, Memory, and Light Graphite color!!

Comment

Generally when you get codes that say its lean, especially on multiple sensors, they are probably telling the truth. I'd be looking for vacuum leaks before buying parts. The fact that it runs funny when cold, when the O2 sensors aren't running the show, also tends to indicate something is actually wrong. Clogged injectors or fuel filter will do this too, as will low fuel pressure, vac leaks, or a dirty MAF.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Hmmm. Fuel filter is new and I have cleaned the maf but I know it's not always repairable.

I have yet to hook up my FP gauge but ill definitely do that.

Any kind of fuel system cleaner you'd recommend or are they all just a complete waste of money?

I wouldn't have a problem replacing the two o2 sensors as long as I can break them loose lol. By the bank and sensor numbers can you tell me which two this is saying is bad? Driver/passenger before/after cat?

Thanks

Comment

I believe sensor 1 is before the cat, but I have no idea which bank is which. I'd also sort of wonder if there is wiring damage since all four sensors show some fault. I suppose its possible that they are all TU with the mileage but it seems a bit unlikely to me.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
          X