No announcement yet.

1999 Lincoln Town Car intake manifold cracked

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, the Dorman unit has those holes on both sides of the crossover tube. Now both of them are filled with indentical plugs. I could swear that before I took it all apart, there was a connector attached to the one on the passenger's side. Now, there's nothing and they both look the same. I will take a picture when I get home.

The worst part is that it was my friend that took that side apart and he does not recall how he took that side apart. Now, I'm about 100% sure that there a connector there, but I cannot find the harness or the prong anywhere under the hood!
    1989 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
    1999 Lincoln Town Car Signature

Comment

There should be a coolant temp sensor there for the engine computer. If that got put somewhere else since the old plastic one uses a different sensor than the aluminum one, that could be why.

The CHT (Cylinder Head Temp sensor) looks similar to the old style sensor for the plastic intake. Also, follow the wires on the passenger side of the engine and see if anything is hanging down or flopping loose under the intake.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

The cylinder head sensor I think is the bolt that screws into the driver's side cylinder head. It was visible when the manifold was off.

Here is an updated picture of my dilemma. Somehow the CTS has turned into this bolt. Now I've got 2 identical bolts sitting in the crossover tube, with the harness nowhere to be found. I was wondering whether someone with a similar car could track theirs down and see which wire bundle it comes out of...

Like I said, the dash displays the temperature correctly and there are no codes thrown at me, so it makes me think that the engine is reading the temperature from somewhere else as well, likely the cylinder head temp sensor. Otherwise, I'm at a loss.

Here's a pic of what the whole thing looks like now:

Click image for larger version

Name:	overpass.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	1272761

The one at 3 o'clock position was always like this. The one at 9 o'clock is the one with the missing harness, and the connector, for that matter.
        Last edited by lithdoc; 07-15-2013, 11:39 AM.

Comment

Probably just fell under the intake or something. Ill check my 2000 TC after I get off work and see where the wires come from for ya. Should be the same harness in my car as yours
          1985 LTD Crown Victoria - Currently restoring after she caught fire! CFI to SEFI to Carb swap, all custom wiring, Duraspark 2 ignition, Motorcraft 2100 Carb, slicktop, Shorty headers dumped before rear axle, 140 Speedo, 3G alt, And currently building an engine for her.

2000 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series - 165XXX, PI intake swap , 30 MPG Easy on the Highway, All options except dual exhaust. Currently looking for 2 front seats: Heated, Memory, and Light Graphite color!!

Comment

Originally posted by fmansfield444 View Post
            Probably just fell under the intake or something. Ill check my 2000 TC after I get off work and see where the wires come from for ya. Should be the same harness in my car as yours
            Thanks, please do!

Comment

Sorry it took so long man but here are some pics of my 2000 with the stock plastic intake.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21374257326.837852.jpg
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	1272833

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21374257350.830061.jpg
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	1272834

As you can see my temp sensor wiring goes into a harness that runs down the passenger side of the engine and along the passenger side of the intake.

Here is the driver side with the block off bolt like you have where the sensor should be.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21374257468.063285.jpg
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	1272835

Hope this helps! Sorry for the delay!
              1985 LTD Crown Victoria - Currently restoring after she caught fire! CFI to SEFI to Carb swap, all custom wiring, Duraspark 2 ignition, Motorcraft 2100 Carb, slicktop, Shorty headers dumped before rear axle, 140 Speedo, 3G alt, And currently building an engine for her.

2000 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series - 165XXX, PI intake swap , 30 MPG Easy on the Highway, All options except dual exhaust. Currently looking for 2 front seats: Heated, Memory, and Light Graphite color!!

Comment

Thank you, this helps tremendously. Will help me make a case to my friends, who don't believe me when I say I had one. I also went to the dealer, who confirmed existence of the sensor as well through the part diagrams.

I haven't had a chance to look at mine yet, but I will, and report back when I get a chance. Thanks again!

Comment

Unfortunately, I find no such wire. I took pictures of the area. It looks like both of the holes in the crossover are now plugged with identical plugs. Please see pics below. I'm running out of ideas...

Name:	IMG_20130720_120917 (1280x960).jpg
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	1272853

Name:	IMG_20130720_120929 (1280x960).jpg
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	1272854

Name:	IMG_20130720_120943 (1280x960).jpg
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	1272855

Comment

What does the wire running to the front of the engine go to? That looks like my temp sensor wire. Ill circle it on your picture when I get home. Im on my phone right now

Comment

Working...
                    X