Hesitation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hesitation?

I've got a 94 MGM, i just bought the car yesterday actually. There seems to be some hesitation when trying to take off from a.stop. The best way I can describe it, it seems like the engine doesn't know that i've pushed the pedal down at first then it realizes whats going on, and off I go.
    The only thing i've done so far is put a bottle of injector cleaner in the tank. Any idea what this could be? Throttle position sensor maybe?
    -85 Town Car: Crushed, gone to a better place.
    -91 Grand Marquis: With the Town Car
    -94 Grand Marquis: My DD

Could be many things, but the first thing that came to mind was a dirty TB.
    That can cause exactly what you're describing.

Comment

X2, plus the whole freakin' intake. Clean the heck out of it I use Berryman B-12 instead of Seafoam because it's so much cheaper. Is it the same? Dunno. But when I pour it into the intake it smokes out the neighborhood, smells like firecrackers. Soot for the lose.

Pete
      Originally posted by gadget73
      For other types of inquiry, more information is required. Please press 4 to speak to a representative who can help you with your question. This call may be monitored for quality assurance purposes.

2003 Grand Marquis Ultimate, the "Stealth Bomber": http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...-Grand-Marquis
      1991 S-10, 'Bulldog', 2.5l 5 speed: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...375#post698375
      1985 Town Car, 'Faded Glory', gone but not forgotten. 84/87/91/97 MGMs too.

Comment

just get like a throttle body cleaner spray, and spray it in the tb while running?

Another thing, I don't know if its related or not. This morning when i started the car after it sat all night, it idled for maybe a couple seconds and stalled. It did it again when I put the car in gear. The only way to keep it running was to give it a little throttle, even at stops. Once the car warmed up it was fine.

Comment

+1 clean out the TB and intake of the carbon buildup. carb/throttle body cleaner is your weapon of choice. follow the directions on the can and have a nice day. If that doesn't sort it, check tune-up items (plugs/wires).

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
          Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Some of the "newer" TB's have a "coating" and you are NOT to use carb cleaner. Not sure about the '94's but to be safe I would use the special TB cleaner that doesn't ruin the coating. Sounds like an IAC issue. Clean it out well or if you can afford it - replace it with an OEM IAC. Bobby

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

I pour cleaner into the valve cover vent with the engine running as well as the TB cleaner.

I don't add any to the oil and this guy used the brake booster hose:
              Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Here's what it does http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AARpTtHHVKw

Agreed though Bobby maybe cleaning the IAC is a good idea too.

Pete
              For other types of inquiry, more information is required. Please press 4 to speak to a representative who can help you with your question. This call may be monitored for quality assurance purposes.

2003 Grand Marquis Ultimate, the "Stealth Bomber": http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...-Grand-Marquis
              1991 S-10, 'Bulldog', 2.5l 5 speed: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...375#post698375
              1985 Town Car, 'Faded Glory', gone but not forgotten. 84/87/91/97 MGMs too.

Comment

Thanks for the tips everyone, ill try cleaning it out and see what happens

Comment

Clean the MAF too. Also, if it hasn't been done in living memory, change the fuel filter, check/change the plugs and the plug wires.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                  X