Lost cylinders 1, 2, and 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lost cylinders 1, 2, and 3

Hello, I'm Brad. I just joined your forums.

I recently bought a 1998 Grand Marquis with the 4.6L. It had sat for a couple months without being ran but when I bought the car a few days ago it ran perfectly. Yesterday I was pulling into the parking spot in front of my house and when I shifted from drive to reverse the car stalled. I put it in park and restarted the car and it was running very rough and the CEL was lit up. I managed to get it off the road and I started doing some diagnostics. I replaced all of the plugs(there was no coolant in the spark plug wells) just as good measure but this didn't help the situation at all. With the engine running I pulled off each coil-pack connector individually and on cylinders 4-8, unplugging the coil made the engine run even rougher. On cylinders 1-3, unplugging the coil had no effect on the engine. I pulled each coil individually and inserted a spark plug in the end of the boot and none of the 3 coils were firing. I broke out my noid lights and my volt meter and I seem to have found the problem. All three coils are getting 12V to the positive side of the coil connector but there is no ground pulse when cranking/running on the other side of the connector. I've tried the noid light in cylinders 4-8 and it flashes under cranking for those 5 cylinders but there is no flash on 1-3. Any ideas guys?

Thanks in advance,
    Brad

Replace three bad coil packs.

-ryan s.
    08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
    03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
    97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
    94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
    73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
    12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
    Originally posted by pantera77
    Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

Originally posted by SVT98t View Post
      Replace three bad coil packs.

-ryan s.
      I think you misread what I wrote. The ECU is not sending a ground pulse to the #1-3 coil packs. I plugged each of the coil-packs from the 3 failed cylinders into the #5 cylinder's coil connector and all 3 coils on the failed cylinders are producing spark when hooked to a different connector.

-Brad

Comment

verify that the PCM connector is completely seeted and bolted down. the pins for the coils are on the outer 4 pins on each end of the connector. If that's all well and good... verify the wires are still good from the PCM to the coil harnesses... otherwise, get a new PCM.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Dos the 98 still use the EDIS module over there on the fender, behind the cruise servo? I believe thats what drove the coil packs on earlier units. Don't know if they switched to direct PCM drive on later models or what.

If 3 adjacent coils lost signal from the PCM, I'd have to suspect a wiring fault. If it sat, maybe squirrels? See if you can find any obvious damage to the harness between the coil packs and the PCM.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

nah... it's coil on plug.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

Thanks for the help guys. I'll be checking my connectors today after work.

-Brad

Comment

COP in 1998 then, ok. There should be a common +12v feed to all of the coils. There are splices in the wiring harness that run along the top of the motor. Pretty fair bet its one of those, or somewhere in that area. Pretty sure its the red wire on the coil connector, but don't hold me to that. Its whatever color shows up on all 8 coils.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

yeah... the red one is the common +Batt.

Comment

Working...
                  X