Engine "howling" Grand Marquis 07

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine "howling" Grand Marquis 07

Greetings Distinguished Grandmarq.net community, first of all I'm glad to have been accepted to your forums and thus to be allowed to exchange opinions and learn from you.

I'm the proud owner of a Mercury Grand Marquis 07 LS model.

Now, I just wanted to ask a question to the community in regard to a unfortunate mechanical issue my Mercury Grand Marquis has been presenting in the last week is about this "honk' "squeal" "howling" that is coming out of my engine and appears to show up sporadically,Jbut there's no day in which I ride the car that it won't show up, so I'm assuming is important.

The noise appears to come from the drive belt area at least that's what I think I've done extensive research in the subject and I've concluded that the problem could be the idler pulley of the drive belt. Now, I'm obviously not sure of this conclusion and before spending hard earned cash I'd like to consult to people with much expertise that I have and see what's their take on the issue.

Here's a youtube link to a video I made of the noise in question so you guys can issue your respective opinions.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Btw, I sprayed the drive pulley's area with water and it appeared to eliminate the noise temporarily naturally it reappear shortly thereafter.

I really value your help, and the things you've done through this community, and I look forward to a nice exchange of opinions and thoughts in the days to come.

Kind regards

Jack.

sounds like a nasty bearing on something. remove the belt and spin the pulleys. If any are not smooth... replace.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

A trick that I've seen (but never used) for trying to pinpoint the source of a sound is putting one end of a tube to your ear and moving the other end around where the sound is coming from to try to pinpoint it. You can even buy a mechanic's stethoscope that is basically a fancier version of this.

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
      mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
        sounds like a nasty bearing on something. remove the belt and spin the pulleys. If any are not smooth... replace.
        Do this.
        And please use WD-40 or another lubricant next time you want to splash down your pullies.
        Thanks.

-ryan s.
        08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
        03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
        97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
        94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
        73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
        12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
        Originally posted by pantera77
        Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

Working...
        X