Spark plugs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spark plugs

Wanting to get a new set before winter, possibly wires. Pretty sure I have original ones and with 96,xxx on it i figure it's time to get some new ones. Suggestions on good brands/series? My grand marquis is an '02.

AutoLite or Motorcraft. And if you want to spend some money, NGK's.

-ryan s.
    08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
    03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
    97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
    94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
    73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
    12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
    Originally posted by pantera77
    Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

I'd go with Motorcraft OEM's. Right plugs for the car and not expensive (or shouldn't be)!

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

Thank's for the info! I will check my plugs and wires this weekend to see if it's necessary.

Comment

2002 has coil on plug ignition. No wires to replace, just coil packs. If you're running okay, and getting decent fuel economy, no need to replace the coils just yet. OEM coils are about $52 each, there are aftermarket ones available through Rock Auto for $15/each, but a lot of people here poo-poo the aftermarket ones. I've not had any issue, replaced one coil with a cheapie one over a year ago, and it's still hitting strong. Maybe I got lucky?

2000 Mercury Grand Marquis GS HPP - SOLD
          Wore out the cam chain tensioners and jumped time at 176k miles.

Comment

the "wires" are the coil "boots"... so yes, there are wires to check as it were.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I won't worry about coils unless there's a problem. Will check plugs this sunday. Are the boots replaceable?

Comment

My spark plugs crapped out at less than 96,000 miles, so ya, it's about that time. Once you get into misfire territory, you risk frying your coils. I hadn't heard of replaceable boots before, but I just looked into it, and they do indeed sell the boots separately. Here a link:

RockAuto ships auto parts and body parts from over 300 manufacturers to customers' doors worldwide, all at warehouse prices. Easy to use parts catalog.

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
                mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

yes, the boots are replaceable. they just pull off of the coils.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                  rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
                  ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
                  Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

motorcraft and dont look back. if you require platinum, get the fine wire
                    Charlette - Brown 1977 Ford LTD - 351 Windsor 155K, Full Custom Pioneer system, green HID, interior & underbody
                    Alesha - Black 1982 Mercury Marquis - 255ci 178K, full custom Kenwood and Infinity system, lowered, dual exhaust, LED all the things
                    Tangerine Dream - Orange 1988 F-150 Custom - 300 i6 82k, Ghetto sound system, 5spd, 2WD, #farmtruck

Comment

I heard the 97 + need platinum, double on the passenger side. I guess its cause of the waste spark gate system.

Would I be ok with just platinum (single)??
                      "To Find yourself, you must first lose yourself"

-1973 Volkswagen Bus Westy
                      -1986 Honda Magna 700cc
                      -1989 Lincoln Town car Signature Series
                      -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

Originally posted by porschpow View Post
                        I heard the 97 + need platinum, double on the passenger side. I guess its cause of the waste spark gate system.

Would I be ok with just platinum (single)??
                        I'd put what the factory calls for.

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

Comment

No Clue What THE FACOTRY Calls For. I don't have a manual

Some people here say copper, other say platinum, others say platinum and double platinum, lol

Dealers don't even have there computers go back to 1997 anymore

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
                          -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

Does the Ford Site go back that far for the manual? If not, I would check out OEM plugs on ROCKAUTO or a Ford Dealer site. How about the sticker under the hood? Is it still there? You could also check out EBAY for a OEM manual - I am sure someone has one for sale and it will always come in handy!!

Comment

I just got off the phone with the Lincoln mercury dealer near me. They said, the 97's require double platinum!!!!!

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
                              -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

Working...
                              X