No announcement yet.

Oil brand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't think the 5.0s are quite as sensitive to thicker oil as the 4.6s are. I was always advised not to use thick oil in a 4.6 because the oil passages are too small. All of my vehicles get Motorcraft Synthetic blend 5W-20.
    Nick

Past: 1967 Continental convertible, 1987 TC Cartier, 1996 TC DAE & Signature, 2002 LS V8, 2006 Zephyr, 2010 MKZ AWD, and many more.....
    Current: 2010 F-150 Platinum Supercrew 4x4
    Wanted: 1967 or 1969 Contnential sedan
    Only in my dreams: A Continental Mark II

Comment

I get 5W-20 because that is what the dealer stocks (since it is for all newer cars and they probably don't want to stock heavier oil for the older ones).

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by LithiumCobalt View Post
        I don't think the 5.0s are quite as sensitive to thicker oil as the 4.6s are. I was always advised not to use thick oil in a 4.6 because the oil passages are too small. All of my vehicles get Motorcraft Synthetic blend 5W-20.
        Yep. A 5.0 will take whatever your pour in it and not be to fussy. Modulars need the thinner oil. I doubt the difference between 10-30 and 5-30 would have a big impact on it, but no reason not to run what it calls for.
        2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
        2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
        2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
        1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

I used to have a set of pictures of a set of 4.6 SOHC heads that showed why you don't run thick oil in them. They don't have cam bearings. The cam rides in a film of oil, in a bore in the aluminum cylinder head. If there isn't proper oil flow, the steel cam rips aluminum out of the bore and really fucks things up. I don't know where I found those pics, possibly on Corral, but it was ugly.

Mind you, oil starvation on anything with plain bearings does the same kind of thing, but you wreck the bearing. It requires replacement, but a set of bearings isn't that expensive. Destroy one of those 4.6 head castings and you need new heads.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Thanks for the information about the subject

Comment

So me running 10w30 instead of 5w30 putting my engine in risk of messing up

Comment

I'd simply put what the OEM manual calls for. If you do not have the Owner's Manual, you can look it up...I believe yours would be 5W30 but you could use 5W20.

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

Comment

I wouldn't put 10w30 in a mod motor later than 95... and then only after it starts leaking or burning it. They work much better with 5W20 or 5W30.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                  rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                  Originally posted by gadget73
                  ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                  Originally posted by dmccaig
                  Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Valuable Information!
                    "To Find yourself, you must first lose yourself"

-1973 Volkswagen Bus Westy
                    -1986 Honda Magna 700cc
                    -1989 Lincoln Town car Signature Series
                    -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
                      I wouldn't put 10w30 in a mod motor later than 95... and then only after it starts leaking or burning it. They work much better with 5W20 or 5W30.
                      I wouldn't even use thicker oil if you get the oil burning. If that happens, a new set of valve seals would be in order. Normally the oil burning only affects the earlier 4.6 anyhow.
                      Nick

Past: 1967 Continental convertible, 1987 TC Cartier, 1996 TC DAE & Signature, 2002 LS V8, 2006 Zephyr, 2010 MKZ AWD, and many more.....
                      Current: 2010 F-150 Platinum Supercrew 4x4
                      Wanted: 1967 or 1969 Contnential sedan
                      Only in my dreams: A Continental Mark II

Comment

My '95 GM doesn't use oil - bought it used so can't attest to it's life time treatments - but so far so good and I use 5W-20.

Comment

Great

Comment

Working...
                          X