Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Misfiring after hitting a Puddle. Out of ideas.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Misfiring after hitting a Puddle. Out of ideas.

To avoid hitting another car yesterday, I ended up running through a large puddle and immediately got a misfire. I had it scanned and it was cylinder 4 that was misfiring. I changed all 8 plugs. I ended up swapping #3 and #4 coils because 3 is easier to get to than 4. Still had a misfire.

Today, I started the car up and drove 10 miles with no misfire. Then the misfire started up again. I bought a Motorcraft Ignition Coil and put it on #3. STILL have a misfire. No code is popping back up yet. What should I be looking at?

EDIT- Sorry, forgot to write that its a 2000 Grand Marquis LS
    Last edited by Sigma.40; 12-20-2015, 02:08 PM.

Coil connector moist?

Comment

Originally posted by GM_Guy View Post
      Coil connector moist?
      Nope

Comment

Connector on the coil secure? I have the problem of them wanting to come off because the retention tabs are broken on a few and hence zip tied on now.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

After 50 miles of driving with the car shaking like a hooker with Parkinson's, I could not get it to throw a code so I started disconnecting fuel injectors one by one so I could figure out which cylinder was misfiring now. The misfire went away after I unplugged cylinder 6 or 7. Another 50 miles of driving and its still gone so hopefully it stays that way.

Comment

Probably moisture in a connector somewhere. I always wince when cleaning out engine bays for that reason. With boxes I usually end up with a battery light for a second. My Pontiac gives me a CEL for ten minutes or so. Slightly worried about long term but cleanliness is next to godliness for me.
            1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
            1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Must've been. 150 miles so far and so far so good.

Comment

Somewhere the Eagles are playing "Peaceful, easy feeling." Lol.
                1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

lol

Comment

Working...
                  X