Quick under intake heater hose repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quick under intake heater hose repair

Saw this on U-tube. anybody try it and have success?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPTP...ADqxNdOW6gQZWw
    89 Colony Park
    90 Colony Park
    70 HEMI Daytona Convertible

I'd thought about doing that if my 93's original engine had lasted that long.

Though for "lubing the hose" I just spit in it.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Looks great. As he mentioned he used a gates 90 degree adapter. If you install the wrong one it can melt from the water temp.

Thanks
      03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
      02 SL500 Silver Arrow
      08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
      12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

I was planning on using a brass 90 from the hardware store. But now I don't have that issue because PI motor. I do have to wonder if the 2000 npi still uses that hose or has the PI style pipe. I haven't looked.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

Don't dick with it, just do the job the right way and be done with it for another 20 years.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
            ... I do have to wonder if the 2000 npi still uses that hose or has the PI style pipe. I haven't looked.
            My 2000 MGM has the pipe without the hose bit, though it's still different from the PI pipe and has to be changed when you switch to a PI intake manifold. I would guess they got rid of the hose bit on the pipe in 1998, since that was a big transition year.

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
            Don't dick with it, just do the job the right way and be done with it for another 20 years.
            The pipe is actually cheap enough to bother to do it right, but unless I had a reason to change the intake manifold (from plastic to aluminum crossover and/or from NPI to PI) or to take off the throttle body and plenum assembly (to port them), I'd be inclined to give the hose a try, especially if there was a need to buy some time.

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
            mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

Originally posted by IPreferDIY View Post
              My 2000 MGM has the pipe without the hose bit, though it's still different from the PI pipe and has to be changed when you switch to a PI intake manifold. I would guess they got rid of the hose bit on the pipe in 1998, since that was a big transition year.

The pipe is actually cheap enough to bother to do it right, but unless I had a reason to change the intake manifold (from plastic to aluminum crossover and/or from NPI to PI) or to take off the throttle body and plenum assembly (to port them), I'd be inclined to give the hose a try, especially if there was a need to buy some time.
              Cool.

+1 easy quick fix and still cheaper than the pipe AND way faster. Also, no dicking with the intake can be a nice thing.

Comment

Generally I find that shortcuts are frequently anything but. The time and money it takes to do it the wrong way a couple of times before giving up and fixing it properly is always more than just doing it properly once. Its just an intake manifold, not that big of a deal. Its plastic too, so it won't even hurt your back hossing it in and out of position.
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

The reason I posted this was my friend with his 97 GM was quoted $650 to have the job done a a garage. The car is not in great shape and probably won't last out the year. Can't justify spending that kind of money on a turd. If this helps him get a few months service out of the car, then its not that bad an idea. WagonMan
                  89 Colony Park
                  90 Colony Park
                  70 HEMI Daytona Convertible

Comment

Originally posted by WagonMan View Post
                    The reason I posted this was my friend with his 97 GM was quoted $650 to have the job done a a garage. The car is not in great shape and probably won't last out the year. Can't justify spending that kind of money on a turd. If this helps him get a few months service out of the car, then its not that bad an idea. WagonMan
                    This. Beater gonna beat.

Comment

This is actually a common repair on NYC Crown Vic taxi cabs. Raise a hood and more often than not you will see the 4 foot hose snaking back to the heater core.

A quick and easy fix and the car is back out earning money.

Comment

No surprise there. Those cars are absolute SHIT. I hop in one now and then...they are ****ed.
                        ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                        My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                        My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                        But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

If its not worth spending money on to fix properly, its not worth spending time on to fix improperly. I've gotten curmudgeonly after years of fixing half-ass hacked together nonsense.

Comment

yeah... I've done many "temporary" fixes that have lasted years... like nearly every fix under the hood of the 88. Like I couldn't be arsed to fix the trans cooler lines with new ends and just put nipples on the rad and hose to the lines and clamped. And lets not get into the wiring hacks I've done to make shit work.

Comment

Gadget I usually agree with you, on this though the fix looks like as permanent a repair as doing it the long way. Provided one does not cut corners on the repair. New hose, new clamps, chafe protection and a correct 90.
                              Last edited by jaywish; 03-16-2016, 09:52 PM.
                              03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                              02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                              08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                              12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Working...
                              X