Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

08 Town Car Small Oil Leak

The car has about 75K miles on it.

I have not found this leak yet. It is relatively small as I am not losing much. I have no drops under the car. I only know it is leaking after I come to a stop after at least a couple of minutes at cruising speed. Then I smell the burning oil thru the HVAC system.
    Does not seem to happen at idle.

I have looked around under the hood and not spotted anything yet. I will give it a power wash, drive it for a few days then get the mirrors out to look for a leak. Unfortunately the oil is very clean so hard to see. If that does not work I can get some uv leak dye for the oil.

I guess a thorough exam of the back of the valve covers and the oil filter adapter are in order.

What else would be a typical issue on these motors?

If I have to change VC gaskets what other gaskets/supplies do I need?

Thanks,
    Jay
    03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
    02 SL500 Silver Arrow
    08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
    12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

My 04 does it too, and it is going to continue to! My guess is valve covers as well it appears to be passenger side rear. Mine doesn't leak a drop on the ground or loose any in between changes so it must be very very slight.
    2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
    2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
    Past Panthers
    1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
    if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

My pi swapped 93 does this too. I just replaced the passenger side VC gasket too. I'm beginning to think I may need to replace my PCV valve, but the last time I pulled it out and checked it, it worked fine. Definitely a mystery. I only get the smell when I stop in traffic or below 15mph.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I looked at the PVC today. Also it is interesting that it is an electric PCV valve. I wonder how one checks that?

Are you using the other gasket?
        Last edited by jaywish; 03-23-2016, 10:06 PM.
        03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
        02 SL500 Silver Arrow
        08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
        12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

not yet, saving it just in case. Mine is a normal PCV valve. They have electric ones on the later models?

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

There is an electrical connector on the PCV. Don't know what it does.

I was kind of kidding on the gasket. Shipping would not be worth it. But the set is a bit expensive for the good gaskets.

Anybody know if I need any other small parts to do the cover gaskets?
            02 SL500 Silver Arrow

Comment

Yes the later PCVs are electronically-controlled. And mighty expensive if you go to replace them. At which point you might as well 4BT it
              The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
              The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

The late model ones have a heater in them. And the '07 manual seems to imply you will break it if you try to remove it from the valve cover due to the retainer design. Don't recall if they are controlled by the computer, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Alex.

Comment

4bt?

And thanks for the warning Alex.
                  02 SL500 Silver Arrow

Comment

4BT: http://www.4btswaps.com/
                    The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.

Comment

4bt? I would have to add more sound insulation.
                      02 SL500 Silver Arrow

Comment

shoehorn a 6bt in with a low profile oil pan.

Comment

It's been done, there's at least one whale Crown Vic like that running around out there. Not my work unfortunately.

Comment

I looked at the manual. the pcv is actually designed to break if removed. Nice Ford.

According to the book one must remove the RS engine mount. disconnect most of the engine wire harness, remove wipers and the various cowl plates change LS Valve cover, then lower the engine with the engine mount removed, change the RS cover.

I wonder how much of that the average mechanic does for this job.
                            02 SL500 Silver Arrow

Comment

I looked at the manual. the pcv is actually designed to break if removed. Nice Ford.

According to the book one must remove the RS engine mount. disconnect most of the engine wire harness, remove wipers and the various cowl plates change LS Valve cover, then lower the engine with the engine mount removed, change the RS cover.

I wonder how much of that the average mechanic does for this job.
                              02 SL500 Silver Arrow

Comment

Working...
                              X