Looking to buy a 4.6L car.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by N A
    Is the "valve seal" issue a common problem on the '92-'95 cars? I have noticed a lot of '92-'97 cars for sale on used car lots.
    that's because it's the older body style, so it's less popular.

The AOD is a fine transmission.....they used it for many a year.....
    The '93 AODE has the same gearing as the 91-92.5 AOD that's in my car, so it's just as peppy.
    In fact, the tranny places charge on average $300 less to rebuild the AOD as opposed to the AODE.
    The only weak spot on the AOD is the damn kickdown cable bushing!!, but once replaced with a new one or upgrading to the brass one....your good to go.
    Last edited by mercuryhead; 03-15-2006, 12:29 PM.

Comment

The only problem with the AOD is you can't find low mile brand new ones, and if your motor takes a dump you need to rebuild it or find another 91-92.49 bastard block which precludes finding a low mile new one.

Also all 91-94 motors will have leaky valve seals unless they have been changed. IIRC 95 actually got better seals. 96 up have improved head design to reduce the failure even further. The replacment seals for 91-95 are much better than the originals
      2004 Marauder M79 90K miles Jmod!! 14.85 @95.63
      2004 Crown Vic LX 135K Silver Birch Light flint leather FMX1 04 P-71 PCM swap 04 P-71 Airbox and Zip tube "$100 MZT" 01 F-250 70 MM TB 21mm swaybar wood steering wheel BH headlight relay

Comment

hey, now i dont mind the caprice, but get rid of that piece of shit neoplan in the background of your sig pic

Comment

Wow good eye, I had to look up Neoplan http://www.neoplanusa.com/products/transit.html

to figure out what the fuck you were talking about.

That is not my old IMPALA, just a pic of another 79 as I don't have any good ones of said car even though my Dad owned it from 82 -87 and I had it till 90 and my sister killed it off in 91.

I hotlinked the pic for now, I will crop it down soon and host it on my site. Maybe someone can photochop it to medium red (GM version of Torredor red like my 01 is) I have had 4 Chebbies and one Ford that color
          2004 Marauder M79 90K miles Jmod!! 14.85 @95.63
          2004 Crown Vic LX 135K Silver Birch Light flint leather FMX1 04 P-71 PCM swap 04 P-71 Airbox and Zip tube "$100 MZT" 01 F-250 70 MM TB 21mm swaybar wood steering wheel BH headlight relay

Comment

neoplan just stopped production in january, they were a company that in the 70's got the license to build busses under the neoplan (germany) name. the us built busses were basically total shit, rusty, structural issues and every imaginable issue, though they got a good bit of business for a while, because most public transit busses are purchased on the "lowest bidder" system based on what spec's they want.

Comment

anyone interested should do themselves a favor and just get a 96+
              2000 Mercury Grand Marquis LS HPP.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2336322

Friends don't let friends drive donk.

Comment

95's aren't that bad. An old friend of mine had a 95 P71 with 220K on it with the original engine. He rodded the hell out of it and it puffed a tiny bit once or twice a month that was it.
                2000 Mustang GT "Blondie", 2000 CVPI "Sargent Crusty"

Comment

Originally posted by Chevyguy
                  Also all 91-94 motors will have leaky valve seals unless they have been changed. IIRC 95 actually got better seals. 96 up have improved head design to reduce the failure even further. The replacment seals for 91-95 are much better than the originals
                  Hmmm....I didn't know the 95's valve seals were a little better than the 92-94's. That makes me feel a little better. My 95 has 91,000 miles. No apparent oil burn problems yet. Although I think I'm in the mileage range where it usually starts. So far so good. Runs like a champ otherwise, never had an engine problem.

Just watch out for crappy front ends. I've had nothing but problems with the steering on this thing. If its worn, be prepared to spend big money unless you can do it yourself.
                  1995 Grand Marquis LS, digi dash, loaded
                  124,000 miles

Mods:99 PI steering gear, harsh rear IAS shocks, front KYB gas adjusts, HPP rims with Bridgestone Potenza G009's, Walker dual exhaust with direct fit Magnaflow cats

Comment

Working...
                  X