No announcement yet.

2000 P71 Im about to buy.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

regardless it will fit on that engine right?

Comment

after looking at that tutorial.. i see some work involved far beyond my knowlege.. im no mechanic.... so who should I have do this for me?

Comment

well it isn't a direct bolt on replacement, so a typical maintenance shop wouldn't do it.

maybe someone else can chime in who knows where you could have someone do that kind of work.
        2000 Mercury Grand Marquis LS HPP.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2336322

Friends don't let friends drive donk.

Comment

Originally posted by BigTomZ
          unfortunately it seems like you have to get in there and look, at which point you are already into the project. so it is better to just buy one to have on hand since they aren't too expensive.
          Can't you just remove the alternator and check? I'm assuming we're talking about the nipple on the back of the water pump that runs under the manifold? On my aero it's easily seen from above with the alternator removed...

Again the PI parts is cheap. What is so different about the two? Is one more desireable than the other?
          My car is a Shelby SVT Cobra GT Boss Grand Marquis Type R

Comment

the PI manifold will fit. it requires a little extra work, but it does fit and is worth having.

mercenvy is right actually you should be able to see the cooland nipple after removing the alternator.

the PI intake manifold will give you 15 more horsepower on a non-PI motor. the PI cams will also add 15 more horsepower. they will also expand your powerband more into the higher rpm. the combo will hurt your low rpm torque slightly, but you'll probably still run a good half second faster in the 1/4 mile.

Comment

how would i bring my low end back up?

Comment

mercenvy is right actually you should be able to see the cooland nipple after removing the alternator.
                How? After you remove the intake and the coolant tube (which covers the nipple,) then and only then you will see which nipple you have, unless you have x-ray vision. I think you guys just wanna see how many times you can say nipple(s).
                :worship: Aeros r00l.

Comment

Originally posted by Sphinx
                  I personally would just counteract it with a higher stall torque converter.
                  :worship: Aeros r00l.

Comment

Originally posted by Sphinx
                    it is not a big difference.we are only talking a little loss. a guy i used to work with did the pi manifold and cams on his 97 mustang gt.

i had driven the car both before and after the swap. there was some minor loss in the very low rpm, but only below 2000, nothing you will miss. over 3000 you could really feel it pulling alot harder than before.

this link will give you an idea of the differences, so you can see how the minor loss of torque in the very low rpm is. the power gains and improvement to the powerband are more than worth it.

Comment

makes me wonder why i havent put more of a priority on getting it done myself.

Comment

Originally posted by BMFer
                        How? After you remove the intake and the coolant tube (which covers the nipple,) then and only then you will see which nipple you have, unless you have x-ray vision. I think you guys just wanna see how many times you can say nipple(s).
                        LOL
                        Let me rephrase:

I can see which type of nipple I have because there is a tag hanging off it which I could read to tell me which nipple I have(part #).
                        That is what I meant, sorry not clear enough...

Comment

my $0.02

Originally posted by BigTomZ
                          the PI intake manifold will give you 15 more horsepower on a non-PI motor. the PI cams will also add 15 more horsepower. they will also expand your powerband more into the higher rpm. the combo will hurt your low rpm torque slightly, but you'll probably still run a good half second faster in the 1/4 mile.
                          IMHO, the loss of low-end power was negligible compared to the robust increase in mid-range power.
                          The 2003 Marauder 300A F.I.T #003
                          The 1998 P71 Jinbei. SOLD!
                          The 2001 P71 (Flying Snow).

Comment

yeah no doubt, the low end torque loss in my friends 97 stang was negligible. you could barely tell it lost anything, and the increase in mid range power was excellent, more than i ever expected.

Comment

So let me get this straight...

I recently bought '01 GT Mustang heads for a song. They are immaculate.
                              If I put the PI heads/intake on my non-PI block I'll gain about 30HP? I also read that this would raise the compression, is this true?

Comment

Originally posted by mercenvy
                                If I put the PI heads/intake on my non-PI block I'll gain about 30HP? I also read that this would raise the compression, is this true?
                                You got it.
                                The 2003 Marauder 300A F.I.T #003
                                The 1998 P71 Jinbei. SOLD!
                                The 2001 P71 (Flying Snow).

Comment

Working...
                                X