Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fuel pump or relay ..... or maybe some thing other?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel pump or relay ..... or maybe some thing other?

SPOILER : It worked out some how 03-24-2023 ... scroll to post 15.

So today, Wife had an appointment, it was a nice day, I uncovered the 2001 MGM, pulled around to the back yard to check tire psi, etc. Car ran 15 minutes easy. I did then shut it off to let oil settler. We load up, I go to start car, it fired, run about 2seconds, then died dead. I tried restarting it, no go, every thing looked normal, engine turned over with starter, battery fresh as it stays on a maintainer. I was running close to time we had to go, appointment is over an hour away.

I go get another vehicle, transfer our stuff, lock up the Merc, head out. Made it to the appointment, she had her treatment, we took a longer way home, stopped for a nice supper, did some antique shopping, drove the Skyline Drive, got home some 6 hours after we had left. After we unloaded, I tried starting the Mercury again. No sound of any fuel pump. No start either, but every thing else looks great.

I have, on the rare occasion, had the car start, then die, but then it has always restarted, and run fine ...

Car has 94,708 miles, we bought it new. I never recall the fuel pump making much noise, but seems I normally could hear it as the key was turned from off to on before start. It was dark, I know where the relays are, but was afraid I was gonna tear one up trying to get them loose to swap the AC relay as a test. I think the pump can be replaced without dropping the tank.

Any guesses or "likeliest" culprit suggestions. My gas tank is about fhalf filled on that car, the fuel filter is new as I changed it when last did the oil in the Fall. Car has been parked for a few weeks, under cover, in a carport. Thank You .............
    Last edited by tbear853; 03-24-2023, 12:52 PM.
    No ... I'm not arguing with you ... I'm just explaining why I'm right ...

Now go ... and whatever you do ... have a safe trip!

relays are easier than a fuel pump. I'd try the AC relay in the fuel pump spot and if that makes no difference, put it in the PCM relay spot.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Didn't accidentally trigger the inertia switch did you? Otherwise the relay or pump.
      1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
      1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
      Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
      Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Agree with Inertia switch, relay then fuel pump. New fuel filter needed if fuel pump is changed. That is ensure fuel pump warranty is honored.

Comment

Yeah, I meant to say I checked the inertia switch in the trunk. I hadn't been near it, but I checked it. Thanks guys! I'm gonna do some investigating tomorrow, like swap the relays, see if I have power to the pump. It could have been worse than happening in a level yard.

UPDATE 03-23-2023:

Well,
          it's not a blown fuse in the Power Distribution Box, It's not the middle FP relay on the drivers side fender, and the car is parked on level grass now, but I can't get under it without jacking and setting some stands, so I'll need to come up with a safe way to get it up high enough to access the fuel pump. Jack stands​on soft ground, ... need sound platforms (I have 6 stands, 4 are 1.5 ton ones, 2 are 3 ton ones, and I have 4 mounted 15x8 truck wheels with 31x10.5 tires I can lay under the frame for extra safety)​. I have a few jacks too. I might just call a buddy and let him come get it on his rollback and take it to his shop and pay him to do it, but he stays backed up and they run those wreckers 24hrs. I think I'll need to pull the rear wheels off, let the axle drop some, and according to some, remove hangers and unbolt the H pipe to let the exhaust drop a little and move it to the pass side a little bit ... but a video or two used a ratchet strap to pull the right rear pipe to the right a little? Once up in the air a bit, I can test for power at the pump before opening it up.

I guess it would be a good time to change diff lube too.

On the bright side ... it happened at home on level ground ... and the tank is only exactly 1/2 full. ​ I wonder if I should splurge, maybe go Motorcraft for replacement?
          Last edited by tbear853; 03-23-2023, 12:57 PM. Reason: tested

Comment

I had a thought, I have a new electric fuel pump on a shelf, I bet I could rig it with a hose to fit on the fuel pump preturn line that normally returns fuel to the tank, and pull or start a siphon action to pump fuel out of the tank into a gas can just to get the level well below the fuel pump big access hole in the tank. It might pull through the pressure line, but it'd have to pull it through the dead pump too. I have several 5 gallon plastic red jugs, and can't be but about 10 gallons in it.

Comment

Have someone cycle the key on and off while you hit the gas tank with a rubber mallet. It may jar it enough to get it working again. I have gotten a few cars started that way and drained the gas crossing the wires where the fuel pump relay is. WagonMan
              89 Colony Park
              90 Colony Park
              70 HEMI Daytona Convertible

Comment

I have some 12" x 12" pieces of 3/4" plywood that i use sometimes under jackstands on soft ground
                Last edited by massacre; 03-23-2023, 08:45 PM.

Comment

The return line doesn't go down much at all. It won't even get below the opening of the fuel pump hole IIRC.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                  rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                  Originally posted by gadget73
                  ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                  Originally posted by dmccaig
                  Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by tbear853 View Post
                    I had a thought, I have a new electric fuel pump on a shelf, I bet I could rig it with a hose to fit on the fuel pump preturn line that normally returns fuel to the tank, and pull or start a siphon action to pump fuel out of the tank into a gas can just to get the level well below the fuel pump big access hole in the tank. It might pull through the pressure line, but it'd have to pull it through the dead pump too. I have several 5 gallon plastic red jugs, and can't be but about 10 gallons in it.
                    I highly doubt that this would work in the way you think it might

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
                      The return line doesn't go down much at all. It won't even get below the opening of the fuel pump hole IIRC.
                      Yeah, now that you wrote that, I do recall inthe videos, pics, it does stop short of the lower end.

Originally posted by massacre View Post

I highly doubt that this would work in the way you think it might
                      I wonder if it could be pulled through a fuel pump?

Maybe best I just try pulling it out through the fill tube? With the rear raised and a gas jug on the ground, might get a good siphon going? I've figured out getting room, etc. Today, bought a pump kit, but it has various O-rings ... not the thick gasket like OEM. Maybe I am supposed to reuse the original? Tomorrow, I aim to get it up in the air some and knock it out. I did get a picture, no visible teeth damage.
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	03-23-2023 94708 (5).jpg
Views:	112
Size:	107.6 KB
ID:	1387210

Comment

Here is a suggestion. If you have to replace the fuel pump, Use a MOPAR gasket. They work better than the Ford gasket because they fit better and do not tend to get pinched. OD is 2 14/16. ID is almost 2 3/16. I have a few in stock. I do not have the part number.
                        Since you are there, replace the sending unit float. It is a common Ford part which should be brass.

Comment

He may need a part number for the float. Wonder if they are still available?
                          What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
                          What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Comment

Originally posted by Mainemantom View Post
                            Here is a suggestion. If you have to replace the fuel pump, Use a MOPAR gasket. They work better than the Ford gasket because they fit better and do not tend to get pinched. OD is 2 14/16. ID is almost 2 3/16. I have a few in stock. I do not have the part number.
                            Since you are there, replace the sending unit float. It is a common Ford part which should be brass.
                            That gasket is for the divorced sending unit, not for a fuel pump. WagonMan
                            89 Colony Park
                            90 Colony Park
                            70 HEMI Daytona Convertible

Comment

So, today, after coffee and vitamins and etc and a power bar, I go looking at my jacking options, what I'm gonna use for safety, etc ... then I saw that can of starting fluid sitting on the shelf. I had not yet tried starting it with a shot, knowing that if it was a lack of fuel, the fluid would fire it off for a couple seconds. I go to the car, open the driver door to pop the hood, set the can of start fluid in the seat while I reach for the hood release, then something said real loud "TRY ME NOW" ... and so I did. I moved the can of start fluid, and I sat in the seat, inserted the key, and just for "sh*ts & giggles", I turned it to run. "What's that I hear?" I hear myself ask (well, more like ). I turn further to start, I'll bet it didn't turn over a revolution and it was purring like a well fed cat. I repeated this 4 times.

I have two keys on that ring, so I can unhook one to put in my pocket when we are out. They both are programmed. One is a generic aftermarket key cut to match and veh. PATS programmed, the other is original to the car. The one used today is original to the car ... which one I used yesterday and the day before? I'm not sure. I have tried all 5 keys (2 OEM, 3 Strattec) since, and they all work too.I've had police cars ... the last being an '06 that run some 160,000 miles before being retired in 2012 (it was my last police car and it was reissued to a noobie that transferred here to take my spot after I retired ... because he wrecked his car a few days earlier) ... that never needed a fuel pump.

So now, I'm of a mind to return this new pump and sock (Carquest), and be happy. I was leery about the Carquest one anyway but was all I could get on short notice. I guess I could keep it awhile though, I might return it and have it happen again? I had mentioned in my first post it did something similar years ago, was at a K-mart parking lot ... but it soon started that day.

I'm thankful it happened here as opposed to on the road ... and I'm happy I tried it that one more time today rather than replacing a fuel pump and thinking it was figured out and never knowing nothing was figured out. I never even opened the hood today. 

Thank you all for hints, tips, guesses, etc. If it happens again, I'll update.
                              Last edited by tbear853; 03-24-2023, 02:37 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X