No announcement yet.

5.4L SOHC Swap (into a box)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So the difference between a 4.6 and a 5.4 is a little like the difference between a 302 and a 351?

I'm a box mang...I don't know these things.

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
    1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
    But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

Originally posted by Nathan in MN
      So the difference between a 4.6 and a 5.4 is a little like the difference between a 302 and a 351?

I'm a box mang...I don't know these things.
      Pretty much.
      1989 Town Car Cartier: 3G Alt. Upgrade, Mark VIII Electric Fan, Police Interceptor Suspension, 40-series Flows, loaded. HO+ Conversion: E7 heads, Cobra 1.7RR's, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, FMS "E" Camshaft, 4-hole 19lb/hr injectors, A9P ECM, 76mm C&L MAF, BBK CAI. 338,000Km, stock bottom-end.

Comment

A 5.4L DOHC, wouldn't that be wider than the SOHC? Though, I wouldn't think that would be a problem in a box, except maybe the steering linkage and possibly the master cylinder. I would definitely have to get another car to rip into. As far as Jersey is concerned; the inspection laws are just plain stupid. It's not California where inspection standards are based on the specific make of the car, the year it was made, and what it originally came with, no it is based on some other standard that I am no longer too familiar with. I even heard that seat belts (before they were mandatory) were considered an illegal modification in NJ. I digress though, I just need to find a place where I could keep a second vehicle and work on it in order to make something like this work.
        Packman

Comment

The main problem is the booster and the windshield wiper motor/cowl area.
          Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Originally posted by packman
            A 5.4L DOHC, wouldn't that be wider than the SOHC? Though, I wouldn't think that would be a problem in a box, except maybe the steering linkage and possibly the master cylinder. I would definitely have to get another car to rip into. As far as Jersey is concerned; the inspection laws are just plain stupid. It's not California where inspection standards are based on the specific make of the car, the year it was made, and what it originally came with, no it is based on some other standard that I am no longer too familiar with. I even heard that seat belts (before they were mandatory) were considered an illegal modification in NJ. I digress though, I just need to find a place where I could keep a second vehicle and work on it in order to make something like this work.
            Packman
            The heads, and thus the engine, are the same width, just bigger valve covers on the DOHC.
            1989 Town Car Cartier: 3G Alt. Upgrade, Mark VIII Electric Fan, Police Interceptor Suspension, 40-series Flows, loaded. HO+ Conversion: E7 heads, Cobra 1.7RR's, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, FMS "E" Camshaft, 4-hole 19lb/hr injectors, A9P ECM, 76mm C&L MAF, BBK CAI. 338,000Km, stock bottom-end.

Comment

The top of the engine will be wider, because of the increased deck hieght though, right? Just like a 351W.

Comment

Originally posted by mrltd
                The top of the engine will be wider, because of the increased deck hieght though, right? Just like a 351W.
                The 5.4 will be wider than the 4.6L yes, I already said THAT, but the 5.4L DOHC is the same width as the 5.4L SOHC, which I assumed is what was being asked in the aforementioned post.

Comment

That was what I was asking. I was told that I would have to swap in the master cylinder and booster from a newer CV. This is not really that much of an issue, my main concern with this swap is the computer. I don't really dabble with the electronics too much, so looking up wiring diagrams for both the 86 CV and the vehicle the 5.4L comes from and figuring out how to get it to run is going to be the major headache. Damn....I miss the good ol' days when all you had to worry about was how to get the engine into the vehicle.
                  Packman

Comment

Now you got me tossing around the idea of putting a 5.4 in my towny. I dont want to have to modify much so I prolly wont do it. If it was the same size I def would do it.
                    Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

Originally posted by OVERKILL
                      The 5.4 will be wider than the 4.6L yes, I already said THAT, but the 5.4L DOHC is the same width as the 5.4L SOHC, which I assumed is what was being asked in the aforementioned post.
                      Ah, missed that part...Kinda zoned from the pain...

Comment

Originally posted by mrltd
                        Ah, missed that part...Kinda zoned from the pain...
                        Its OK, just thought I'd clarify

Comment

I wonder if a company like Painless Wiring might be able to help with the wiring and possibly the tuning issues. There's another company in California that also deals with these swaps called Street and Performance or something like that; they make all kinds of things for modern engine swaps into older vehicles. A friend of mine wanted to put an LS1 into his 83 Monte Carlo and they gave him some good advice, but he didn't follow through; that's where my catalog went. I am going to make a few telephone calls and see what they got to say.
                          Packman

Comment

I wonder if a company like Painless Wiring might be able to help with the wiring and possibly the tuning issues.
                            What makes you think you'd have tuning issues? I would think as long as you're not doing any heavy modifications, it ought to work just fine as long as you can get everything mounted and wired up.

But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

I wonder if a company like Painless Wiring might be able to help with the wiring and possibly the tuning issues.
                              What makes you think you'd have tuning issues? I would think as long as you're not doing any heavy modifications to the engine, it ought to work just fine as long as you can get everything mounted and wired up.

Oops. I screwed up here...can someone delete the above post, please?

Comment

Painless makes a 4.6L 2V harness, I'm sure it would help with the 5.4L.

I've heard of people putting Windsor Small-Blocks in Aeros, but not Modulars in Boxes.
                                1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                                1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                                Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                                Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Working...
                                X