No announcement yet.

5.4L SOHC Swap (into a box)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just assumed that it wouldn't be a plug and go deal. I thought the computers took into consideration the weight, age, the input from various sensors, and the make of the vehicle itself. However, I know very little of EFI vehicles except what I see on vidoes and the magazines. I guess as long as I get the computer from the vehicle of the mod motor then it will be okay. I just treat unexplored territory as the worse case scenario and roll with that.
    Packman

Comment

The computers aren't that complicated on these cars. If you wire in the computer, and all of the various sensors to go along with it, you'll be fine. As long as the computer has the desired input from all of the sensors, it could theoretically run in any make or model car. There's people that have done Chevy LS1 swaps into 98-02 Crown Vics.
      Nick
      88 Colony Park LS
      G-pa's old car, but he's cruisin around heaven in his 69 wagon now
      Future plans:Semi HO conversion, or Explorer motor swap, shift kit, PI springs and sway bars, KYB-GR2 shocks

Comment

Originally posted by 88MercWagon
        The computers aren't that complicated on these cars. If you wire in the computer, and all of the various sensors to go along with it, you'll be fine. As long as the computer has the desired input from all of the sensors, it could theoretically run in any make or model car. There's people that have done Chevy LS1 swaps into 98-02 Crown Vics.
        THAT MAKES ME SICK
        YouTube. FaceBook Crown Vic Group

Comment

Originally posted by capridrifter
          THAT MAKES ME SICK
          Don't worry, we WERE putting a Ford 302HO into a buddy of mine's Camaro, he was sick of having rod-spitting SBC's that were anything but reliable in there.......Oh and getting his ass handed to him by my Mustang helped too

Project has been temporarily suspended because he moved to Alberta and the car is still here in Ontario.
          1989 Town Car Cartier: 3G Alt. Upgrade, Mark VIII Electric Fan, Police Interceptor Suspension, 40-series Flows, loaded. HO+ Conversion: E7 heads, Cobra 1.7RR's, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, FMS "E" Camshaft, 4-hole 19lb/hr injectors, A9P ECM, 76mm C&L MAF, BBK CAI. 338,000Km, stock bottom-end.

Comment

:nonono: A LS1 in a Crown Vic; just..............doesn't.................. seem..................right. Nope, not at all.
            Packman

Comment

I received a response from Street & Performance in Mena, Arkansas (www.hotrodlane.cc). They said that they have an engine wiring harness for the 4.6 mod engine. I don't know if they meant that this is compatible with a Crown Victoria or if the wiring harness would work on a Lincoln 5.4L DOHC, but it is a start. I also saw a Painless Performance Wiring engine management harness for 4.6/5.4 mod engines that is specifically for swapping into vintage iron. They go for a couple thousand dollars and I'm not sure that they will work for my application. I will give these companies a call sometime this week for some specific info. Perhaps this can help anyone else here that is thinking about this swap.
              Packman

Comment

Sounds like it's more doable than I would have initially thought. Keep us posted, mang.

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
                1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
                But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

I know I'm a little dense and this may not be necessary to say; but you guys (and gals) can just skip right passed me and make some phone calls too if I'm moving too slow.
                  Packman

Comment

I can't speak for anyone else, but it doesn't bother me. Just take it at whatever pace works well for you.

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
                    1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
                    But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

I'd like to put a 3 valve 4.6L from the 05 up mustangs in a Box. Those 3 valves have a really nice and square torque curve, which is great for the heavier cars, plus, being the 4.6L and not the 5.4L would free up a little extra space and weight.

Comment

This may be a little off the subject, however, if I were to go with a Lincoln 5.4L DOHC, what would the gas mileage be like? I would assume that it would be a little better than the SUV because my ma's CV has a lower center of gravity and it is a lot lighter. Then again, if i went with the 4.6 out of a pickup truck I should have decent gas mileage (smaller engine than the 5.0L and in a lighter chassis) right? This is one of the major criteria for me doing this swap.
                        Packman

Comment

Okay, I just got through to Painless Performance Wiring and they said that they have an engine management system for the 4.6L mod engine, but not for the 5.4L DOHC. After making this phone call I realized that this same system is in JEGS in the fuel injection section. I'll have to get a service manual for the vehicle that the 4.6L comes from and see if this is feasible.
                          Packman

Comment

eh whatever floats your boat. LS1 is like 400 lbs and the 4.6 4V is like 615 lbs. How much does the 5.4 weigh in at?

2005 Legacy GT *13.5 @ 96MPH*
                            2003 Mercury Marauder *Totaled*

Comment

Isn't their an aluminum 4.6L block?

Comment

Yeah, but I don't remember from what.
                                Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

Working...
                                X