Hesitation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hesitation

Hello I own a 1997 Mercury Grand Marquis LS and I've been having a hesitation problem on acceleration I replaced the IAC the EGR valve and the PCV valve yet I still keep getting a code 1506 valve cycle higher than expected I'm wondering if this has to do with the hesitation or is there something else like a vacuum leak of some kind if anyone has any ideas I would appreciate it thank you

The most common cause of this code is an issue with the Idle Air Control (IAC) valve. It may be a general problem with the valve, an issue with an open, shorted, or poorly connected valve harness, leaks in the intake, or even a stuck valve somewhere along the lines. Most of the time, the cause has to do with the IAC process and is a physical issue.
    What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
    What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Comment

+1 look for vacuum leaks. High idle is either vacuum leaks or throttle/cruise control cable tight or throttle stop screw in to far (do not adjust this screw).

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

do these still have that elbow on the PCV valve that cracks, or is that an older 4.6 thing?
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Good question. I have a PI swap, so I dunno about that. Plastic intake can crack though so there's that. Also check the intake is properly secured. My wife's 2000 has the intake loosen up and start higher revving and drinking coolant. Snugged up the intake bolts and all better. 15-22ft-lbs btw. 18ft-lbs on the thermostat housing. If it's still a plastic crossover, I will bet money you have a cracked intake.
          Last edited by sly; 03-20-2023, 09:34 PM. Reason: looked up correct numbers - was off by 1

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
          Originally posted by gadget73
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
          Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
          X