No announcement yet.

Time for a new engine!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please, someone explain to me what underdrive pulleys do to help your performance. I have absolutely no earthly clue what makes them different!
    Back in the saddle again!

2004 Crown Victoria Police Interceptor in Unimaginative Bureaucratic Brown
    Bone stock... for now.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Norris View Post
      Do you think it's because of the valve seals on your car, or a more serious problem? Could I be burning over a quart of oil each month? The underside of the car is pretty oily, but I never ever see puddles or spots where I park.
      A quart a month isn't bad at all.
      1987 LTD CROWN VICTORIA, 5.0 EFI, MAGNAFLOW DUAL EXH, RED LANDAU
      FRESH AOD, 3.27 OPEN DIFF, 57K MILES, B&M SHIFT KIT AND R134A A/C

Comment

Ok...Relax.....Take a deep breath...Hold it.......count to five.....and exhale......Now...you said you need a new engine...start with that first. Mods can come 2nd...Easy

After you get it to run right with the new engine installed then can come the mods list...one at a time....
        YouTube. FaceBook Crown Vic Group

Comment

under drive pulleys slow down accessory's that don't need to spin so fast....there for gaining back the power lost in powering them.

Comment

Please, someone explain to me what underdrive pulleys do to help your performance. I have absolutely no earthly clue what makes them different!
            They only help at higher RPMs than stock. Spend your money elsewhere....

Comment

But I'm starting to think maybe I should just BUY a P71 if what I want is, in fact, a car that performs like a P71. Ugh!!! Decisions, decisions. But I do want to keep gathering the info, because even if I wimp out, someone will be asking these exact same questions 6 months from now.
              I will repeat myself....... Exhaust and gears first...... Don't worry about doing everything else all at once.......

Comment

shouldn't he worry about new engine or something before the exhaust and gears? or is that a no go now? what years are we talking here? is it a 4.6?.....I'd I'd just rebuild and put a nice cam in. then exhaust then gears and then...later supercharge it..

I would be bad ass to see a 5.4 lightning engine in there though...giggidy

Comment

Originally posted by capridrifter View Post
                  shouldn't he worry about new engine or something before the exhaust and gears? or is that a no go now? what years are we talking here? is it a 4.6?.....I'd I'd just rebuild and put a nice cam in. then exhaust then gears and then...later supercharge it..

I would be bad ass to see a 5.4 lightning engine in there though...giggidy
                  Put down the eggnog mang......

Seriously.......

Comment

Well I do like the idea Capri, sounds like fun... but Merc is probably right about the eggnog.

The consensus seems to be that using a quart a month isn't so bad. And fixing the valve seal problem will likely reduce some of that oil useage. So I beleive that it might be in my best interest (since I really do want to keep the Lincoln, it has emotional significance) to fix the valve seals, then worry about the duals and possibly gears, and probably leave it at that. Very mild mods that will make it sound/run/perform better without totaly breaking the bank. I know that the exhaust isn't terribly expensive. Scott said the valve seal work is about four labor hours. Gears I don't know much about. I need to start by finding out what my car has and go from there.

Bone stock... for now.

Comment

The big "police car" power package is pretty laughable. Its 15 hp p71 vs non-p71 on more recent cars. It amounts to dual exhaust, and the airbox and zip tube are slightly different. Marauder air box, and a slightly fatter intake tube, along with a little different fuel and spark curve, higher idle, and modified shift points in the transmission. wheeee, hold on to your hat.
                      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                        The big "police car" power package is pretty laughable. Its 15 hp p71 vs non-p71 on more recent cars. It amounts to dual exhaust, and the airbox and zip tube are slightly different. Marauder air box, and a slightly fatter intake tube, along with a little different fuel and spark curve, higher idle, and modified shift points in the transmission. wheeee, hold on to your hat.

15 PEAK HP. The curve is better and there may be some points along the curve where the gain is more than 15HP. Track times are quicker and top speed is higher......
                        The last year(s) you could get a dual exhaust LX the LX was more HP than the single exhaust car and the P71 was more HP yet...... What do you expect?
                        Last edited by Mercracer; 12-25-2007, 01:12 PM.

Comment

Somebody made a good pont about horsepower a while back. Someone said in a thread that if a particular mod was made, it would only give a few horses (5, 10 maybe.) However, they got the response that ANY horsepower is an improvement. That maybe 10 more horses would get you car off the railroad trcks in time, etc. If I wanted a high-power car, I'd buy one. Maybe a Vette. But I want a slightly better Loretta, my Lincoln, without dropping a fortune, and I'll take 15 HP. Plus, modding is fun if it's done right.

Bone stock... for now.

Comment

Just one step at a time mang. I'm still not done with mine, but am vast approaching. No, she's no 1/4mi terror, but fun, hell yes, and I'll out perform a stock p71 any day.
                            Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

Working...
                            X