No announcement yet.

My vic is too slow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So as it stands right now if I just change the mufflers. Put different pullys on her and give her a tune up. then she will be a little faster than she is now ?
    sigpic

Comment

keyword "little" faster. but yes should be some noticeable gain

Comment

If you already have dual exhaust, mufflers alone with add nothing but volume. The tuneup won't do much unless you need it.

Comment

What gears are in the thing?

If you move out of Lake County, you can put in a 351-4V and call it entertaining.

Although, yours is a '99, right? It'd be a major hassle and cost a lot (trans won't bolt up, for one), but I wonder how much trouble it would be to get the smog goons to let you run a same-year Exploder motor? Not sure it'd be much if any faster than your stock 4.6, but mods would be easier.
          Last edited by 1987cp; 04-06-2009, 09:32 AM.
          2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
            What gears are in the thing?

If you move out of Lake County, you can put in a 351-4V and call it entertaining.

Although, yours is a '99, right? It'd be a major hassle and cost a lot (trans won't bolt up, for one), but I wonder how much trouble it would be to get the smog goons to let you run a same-year Exploder motor? Not sure it'd be much if any faster than your stock 4.6, but mods would be easier.
            ive heard the 5.4 swap is getting kind of popular and probably easier than swapping in a 5.0 since the 5.4 will bolt up to the motor mounts and trans. Or of course the v10 would be a good measure if you wanted overkill but i know a few people have aero and whale cars with a v10 swap. Could probably get the 5.4 to pass smog tests. this is why i like older cars, at least in this state anything older than 94 doesnt have to pass emissions testing anymore.

Comment

Northwest Indiana is one of the stupidest smog-test areas I know of, with an astounding number of cars getting ditched just because they failed emissions. Even Illinois at least has provisions for emissions-exempt vehicles; Lake and Porter Counties in Indiana do not.

Comment

Anything 1976 or older is exempt at the moment. Looks like a few years before I can pick up a '79 2-door.

I'd like to see a newer 3V V10 in your car mang Bone stock, one of those in your car would be just right.

If you would like for your car to feel a lot better, you can drive one of my cars around for a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by torquelover View Post
                  If you would like for your car to feel a lot better, you can drive one of my cars around for a bit.
                  LOL ok mang.

Well I was talkin to the guys at work & my main question is What the hell would under drive pullys do ???? They all said that pretty much it would just burn out my power steering & my water pump! Why the hell would I want to do that??

As she sits now she does not need a tune up. And she does have the factory dual exhaust with the H pipe.

So as I'm seeing it now pretty much all I can do to really make a difference is swap the motor.

I was told that these things were "very bolt on friendly" was I lied to ????
                  sigpic

Comment

if it was identical to the mustang motor it would be bolt on friendlier. then again an engine swap "bolts" in...

if i was you id look for an aftermarket (you might have to some of your own design) intake, and some shorty headers. other than that maybe save your pennies for a supercharger which would require a little custom work

Comment

Well I was talkin to the guys at work & my main question is What the hell would under drive pullys do ???? They all said that pretty much it would just burn out my power steering & my water pump! Why the hell would I want to do that??
                      Do these folks wear padded helmets by chance?? They spin your accesories slower freeing up more power. What a bunch of tards.
                      Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

Car feels a lot better when it can rev freely, too.

Comment

Originally posted by torquelover View Post
                          Anything 1976 or older is exempt at the moment. Looks like a few years before I can pick up a '79 2-door.
                          Really? I had not heard that, and had been unable to find any information to that effect at the state and local websites. Is it some sort of rolling cutoff, 33 years or older doesn't get sniffed?

I know, in a few years I'll sell the ol' P72 back to you and we'll swap the VIN tags! (just kidding, really!!!!)

Comment

Originally posted by p71towny View Post
                            Do these folks wear padded helmets by chance?? They spin your accesories slower freeing up more power. What a bunch of tards.
                            True story, Pullies are a tried and true basic mod that has been done to literally tens of thousands of 5.0 and 4.6L motors.
                            sigpic
                            Wrecked - Non-pi 1998 Mustang GT Best ET = 13.36@ 101
                            Just bought: 01 grand marq - 5th 4.6L and counting.

Comment

Originally posted by ogre View Post
                              True story, Pullies are a tried and true basic mod that has been done to literally tens of thousands of 5.0 and 4.6L motors.
                              So then under drive pullys would help?
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mangjura View Post
                                So then under drive pullys would help?
                                Not really. The 4.6 isn't all that responsive to simple bolt-ons, especially with a 4000-pound+ car. Compared to what it takes to get a mod motor to produce comparable HP to a similar-sized pushrod motor....the 4.6 and 5.4 are simply incredibly expensive ways to get a V8 fix. If you want to do something, save up for a used blower kit, a set of steeper rear gears, or just leave it alone, and put the cash into a cheap pushrod-powered toy.

Comment

Working...
                                X