No announcement yet.

2003 MGM single to dual exhaust conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1) 2003 MGM single to dual exhaust conversion was the question, not '79-'91 anything else. I do all my own work and have never been to an exhaust shop. I ordered... wait for it... the CORRECT PARTS for my install.

2) 2 x 2 = 4" of exhaust output. On the intake side we have, 3". Its a pump. Flows must balance. I have seen Mustangs with flattened exhaust components with large systems. Speed bumps, driveways, curbs ect.

3) I have detailed timed 0-60 runs on every modification I have done to the '09. Filter and exhaust were first, and good for a .6 second drop in 0-60 times. This is the Walker direct replacement CVPI exhaust. Not a performance system. I had less than an 1" clearance on the fuel lines, and emergency brake cables. I spent a good bit of time underneath, so I am not guessing here.

4) I don't know you either and do not see your gratitude. I can interpret anything the way I want. Someone asked a question and I answered with part numbers that I used. If there had been a terrific Mustang cross reference substitute, a nice X-Pipe maybe, I would have noticed it somewhere and ordered it. You are the one, not ever having worked on the later model, assumed that I did not know what I was talking about.
    sigpic
    2009 GM, 45,000 miles
    ADDCO Sway Bars, METCO Control arms & Watts link, KYB CVPI shocks, 3.27 Track Lock, GT500 wheels, Eagle F1 Supercar tires, Walker dual exhaust, AFE Cold Air intake, ADTR ported upper manifold, Stillen Sport Rotors, Hawk HPS pads, Hypertech Programmer, 93 tune.

Comment

Chill out guys. Its just an exhaust. Let's not thread jack...

A dual 2 inch set up will flow as well as a 2.5" single system.

You can make anything work if you have the time, tools and know-how. You could adapt a 1978 corvette exhaust system to fit a Panther if you want. I don't see why you couldn't make an older mustang system work on an Aero/Whale...but I don't think that the 2.5" exhaust will really make a difference on a stock 4.6L without headers, ported plenum, port and polish heads, etc. A larger exhaust will just lose you torque.
      1998 Mercury Grand Marquis 131k~ true duals, 2nd cat removed, H-pipe, Xcelerator Turbo mufflers, PI Manifold, 180* Tstat, K&N drop-in.
      1985 VW Vanagon 70k~

Comment

Damn, I should come into this section more often. I think there is a company that makes headers and a 2.5" dual exhaust for Marauders. I think it's called Stainless Exhaust Works or sumtin like that. Are there any differences in size between the SOHC and DOHC engines? Chassis differences between the Marauder and a stock MGM? I sorta looked into this a while back for a buddy looking to upgrade his '03 MGM.

Packman

Comment

Stainless works catback exhaust installed

Hi guys,
          Thanks to all of you for your helping comments.

I have decided to take the SW catback system and installed it last Saturday.
          SW quality and service are outstanding, I took the assistance from Chris from ADTR due to some foreign payment acceptance problems with SW.
          Chris is a great guy and knows his job.

The installation on my 2003 MGM was trouble free, perfect fitting parts, no hassles with clearance. No welding needing, all parts are clamped with high-quality stainless clamps which came with the exhaust.

Although I am very sure that I have installed the exhaust in the right way (some 3 hours under the car for perfect-fit adjustemt) I have an annoying drone at 70 -80 mph. Exhaust is attached to original Ford hangers and insulators. MGM runs on cruise-control and has a steady drone in this speed range without accelarating.

I feel that the drone comes from the very rear end and I do not know whether it is the "Marauder-like" tailpipes or the trunk sheet metal that drones. You definitely can not hear the drone from outside the car just a fine "growl".

Has anyone of you an idea or any experience how to get rid of this drone?

Will noise-eliminating mats in the trunk help?

Thanks for your help in advance.

JoJo

Comment

I don't know much about the sw catback, what is it like a performance system? Also, how many catalytic converters are you running and do you have reasonators? I had drone with my factory duals after i swapped out the mufflers and my back cats it was fine but as soon as I took my reasonators off it had drone. I personally like drone, if you pay good money for an exhaust you should be able to hear it!
            79 Grand Marquis

Comment

Working...
            X