Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Well all new long term project for me....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mercracer View Post
    What you see in that picture is the dampener which is the wide flat component which has the timing marks on it and you can see the belt pulleys. What you can not see is what is between the dampener and the block on the crank.
    Are you taking about that little thing right behind damper looks like a weight

Click image for larger version

Name:	downsized_0223121806.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	25.2 KB
ID:	1268642

so what does that mean? is it bad?

2001 Mercury Grand Marquis LS
    Ram AIR,NGK V-Power Plugs, K&N, 3.73 posi, sct tuner, J-Mod, 75 mm Throttle Body & Plenium, 80 mm maf, Mercury Marauder Airbox, Homemade air tube, BBK Shorty's, X-pipe, High Flow cats, 2.5 inch exhaust, dynotune by HUTTER PERFORMANCE 236RWHP / 277TQ

LIFE'S JOURNEY IS NOT TO ARRIVE AT THE GRAVE SAFELY AND IN A WELL PRESERVED BODY, BUT RATHER, TO SKID IN SIDEWAYS, TOTALLY WORN OUT, SHOUTING “HOLY SHIT....WHAT A RIDE!"

Comment

that just means it's a weighted balance instead of a zero balance. and it's wicked evil for things to find there way in there if the engine is running.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

That is the hatchet weight I asked about. It really is a more a matter of trivia and an indicator of what year the engine is than a performance issue.
        Neutral balance (internally balanced) is preferred for high RPM use. For street cars, it doesn't matter. You just have to ensure that you use the proper flexplate/flywheel when doing an install.

Comment

That is the hatchet weight I asked about. It really is a more a matter of trivia and an indicator of what year the engine is than a performance issue. That jives with the D9TE block.
          Neutral balance (internally balanced) is preferred for high RPM use. For street cars, it doesn't matter. You just have to ensure that you use the proper flexplate/flywheel when doing an install.

Comment

Thanks for offering me those valve covers. My '79 has the 400, so I don't think they would fit.
            '79 Continental Town Car
            '90 Crown Victoria LTD
            '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

Originally posted by Mercracer View Post
              That is the hatchet weight I asked about. It really is a more a matter of trivia and an indicator of what year the engine is than a performance issue. That jives with the D9TE block.
              since i have the trans. and it is right now attached i don't have to worry about that either right (flexplate and flywheel)

Ram AIR,NGK V-Power Plugs, K&N, 3.73 posi, sct tuner, J-Mod, 75 mm Throttle Body & Plenium, 80 mm maf, Mercury Marauder Airbox, Homemade air tube, BBK Shorty's, X-pipe, High Flow cats, 2.5 inch exhaust, dynotune by HUTTER PERFORMANCE 236RWHP / 277TQ

LIFE'S JOURNEY IS NOT TO ARRIVE AT THE GRAVE SAFELY AND IN A WELL PRESERVED BODY, BUT RATHER, TO SKID IN SIDEWAYS, TOTALLY WORN OUT, SHOUTING “HOLY SHIT....WHAT A RIDE!"

Comment

Originally posted by BDWilliams View Post
                since i have the trans. and it is right now attached i don't have to worry about that either right (flexplate and flywheel)
                It is something you will want to verify. It could have been a '79 engine swapped into a '78 vehicle using the neutral balance 78 or even earlier flexplate. Officially, externally balanced 460s were not used until 79 model year and you mentioned it came out of a 78 van.
                Last edited by Mercracer; 02-24-2012, 07:16 AM.

Comment

well thats all i know about this..until i tare it down

Comment

Originally posted by BDWilliams View Post
                    and the heads..takin them off, getting new ones...
                    What heads are you going with?

Comment

Think we r either going after some D0VE or either Aluminum.

One thing sucks we were going to start tomorrow on the hood and cut the hole and put scoop on.
                      But we came to an idea that would not be smart since we dont know where the carb will be sitting....

Hey i saw a thread on here about a guy in a box that did the 460...think i can use those mounts?????

http://www.supermotors.net/registry/media/146693
                      Last edited by BDWilliams; 02-24-2012, 09:27 PM.

Comment

Well i got to the motor. Took the Intake off and the heads.
                        Just looks like normal wear Just got to clean the carbon off..
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	downsized_0307121833.jpg
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	1268721Click image for larger version

Name:	downsized_0307121931.jpg
Size:	28.7 KB
ID:	1268722Click image for larger version

Name:	downsized_0307121931a.jpg
Size:	25.8 KB
ID:	1268723Click image for larger version

Name:	downsized_0307121931b.jpg
Size:	24.7 KB
ID:	1268724Click image for larger version

Name:	downsized_0307121931c.jpg
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	1268725

Comment

well guys the swap isn't happening
                          i have to sell it....
                          http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...rd-460-with-c6

Comment

Working...
                          X